Live-baiting is cruel and barbaric

tiddlertamer

Gozzer. no probs :) :)

Healthy debate eh what?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I‘d also happily dead-bait but with baits bought from retailers, not with roach or dace from the river I was at. Down to the notion (viewed as misguided by many people here?) of keeping the countryside (including fish stocks) as I found it. (Perhaps my school lesson on the Countryside Code was at just the right time for an impressionable and eager to learn seven-year-old. Was I right to listen? A touch naive or heart in the right place?)

Looking after the fish I catch (and that is mainly silverfish) is certainly one of the most important parts of my day by the riverbank.

It's fine to have misguided and naive opinions, if when you become aware of them you're prepared to either change them or admit they're misguided opinions.

Your notion of leaving the countryside as you found it is entirely laudable, as is your reasoning for fishing semi-natural places rather than commercial fisheries. Nonetheless, you have to accept that your actions will have an effect on the countryside, including fish stocks. All you can do is strive to minimise these effects.

We could debate the finer points of whether it has a greater effect on the countryside to net three fish from a 'sustainable source', drive them halfway a cross the country, pack them into non-biodegradable plastic bags, blast freeze them, drive them to a shop, then drive them to your freezer. Or wheter it has a greater effect to catch 3 fish from a 'sustainable source' and use them straight away.

Edited by Grandma

Then again, I'm not sure if anybody has changed their mind as a reult of this debate about live-baiting but at least this thread has allowed people to express their opinion on something they clearly feel strongly about.

Noam Chomsky (whose views ironically I quite dislike...) did say the following interesting thing.

"If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise we do not believe in it at all."

Now hopefully, there is not a lot of despising going on here at this website. But you get my point about freedom of speech.

And as the BT ad says - it's good to talk.

No one is arguing with the right to free speech and we all enjoy a good debate.

You may feel like you've had some strongly worded replies, I think this is in response to your use of rhetoric and the fact you don't seem to clearly concede any points. :)

Edited by Grandma

It won't be enforceable, it'll just take some of the enjoyment of fishing away for a lot of people. Predator anglers will either fish with in the law, accepting the loss of their current rights or they will have to fish with one eye over their shoulder. :(

Either way it's a loss of enjoyment and it won't make the slightest bit of difference to 'fish sufferance'. Dead baits don't grow on trees.

lol at the growing on trees comment

I think most predator anglers will choose the latter option

My tuppence, I dont personaly live bait not exactly natural is it like some people say.

How can it be, when a fish is not allowed to react in a natural way and take evasive action when a predator approaches.

Should it be banned, I dont think so, it will set a precedent and who knows what will be banned next.

I think its best left to individual choice, and like someone pointed out earlier, its slowly becoming unfashionable anyway.

Shaun, Still learning how to fish.

My tuppence, I dont personaly live bait not exactly natural is it like some people say.

How can it be, when a fish is not allowed to react in a natural way and take evasive action when a predator approaches.

Should it be banned, I dont think so, it will set a precedent and who knows what will be banned next.

I think its best left to individual choice, and like someone pointed out earlier, its slowly becoming unfashionable anyway.

Sorry Shaun, but what do you mean by not natural? It's one of the few baits that constitutes the natural food of what you're fishing for.

They do take evasive action, sometimes they are suucesful too. How succesful depends on the rig, and how determined the predator is.

Maggots, boiles, bread, hemp, meat etc on the other hand are not natural food items for fish.

Sorry Shaun, but what do you mean by not natural? It's one of the few baits that constitutes the natural food of what you're fishing for.

They do take evasive action, sometimes they are suucesful too. How succesful depends on the rig, and how determined the predator is.

Maggots, boiles, bread, hemp, meat etc on the other hand are not natural food items for fish.

I mean by the way the bait reacts, its like a Lion stalking a springbok tethered to a post.

Where as a deadbait, well acts like a dead fish. I think some lures act more than a live fish than a silver fastened to 20lb line swimming around in a circle.

Shaun, Still learning how to fish.

using an old fashioned gazzet (sp?) float lives act like lives and are free to act as fish do well except for seeking cover that wont be good.

and ofcourse twitching deads a great way of making them look in their final throws of death ,both types of fishing work in their own way

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Please explain Grandma..

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic