Live-baiting is cruel and barbaric

tiddlertamer

'

Thats the third similar analogy on this thread, and a very poor one too,

May I refer you to the response I made to Newt and Kleinboet....

Wrong sport, who me? Or just everyone else who prefers not live bait, Dont be silly I have been fishing for over 50 years so I think I am entitled to comment on the sport I love,

if thats OK with you.

In what way is it a poor analogy?

You stick hooks in live fish, you drag said live fish around by the hook you just stuck in it. the only difference between you and a livebaiter is the amount of time you leave the fish with the hook in it!

I'm not a regular pike / perch angler, but I certainly don't see anything wrong with it for those who want to.

Mat

Mat

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm fishing for roach I NEVER use dead maggots as bait. It's not that I care one way or the other for the maggots' feelings, it's just that dead maggots aren't as good as live ones. Worse, like most dead things, they go off very quickly and smell bad.

heres an idea how about we all agree that we love/enjoy to (or for whatever other reason) go angling, and agree that we should all stand together to uphold the benefits of our sport/pastime whatever species or method you fish ,instead of argueing about which is best or right/wrong etc ;)

If people keep refering to differing parts of our sport being "barbaric" we`ll do a pretty good job of getting it stopped ourselves.Gladiators were barbaric,throwing peeps to lions,crucifiction and plain old torture.

If you dont like something dont do it.Just stop shoving it down others throats.

the guilt of live baiting is soo taken over buy a 5lb perch

what people dont know dont hurt em

life is like a pube on a toilet seat some times you just get **** off

I'm just dishonest. You can always trust an honest man to be dishonest.Honestly, it's the honest man you need to look out for, because you never know when he's going to do something incredibly stupid." - Jack Sparrow

Is it just old cynical me, or does this thread smell a bit 'fishy'?

We have a self confessed newcomer to angling, who posts a few innocent queries and posts, until his probationary period is up (16 posts I believe). Then he suddenly has the experience to state that livebaiting is cruel and barbaric. Not an opinion or belief, but states it as a fact.

How he gains such insight into the methods used in angling in such a short period baffles me. A few months ago he was starting out with borrowed tackle, then asking what tackle he should buy, (no mention of pike tackle in his questions).

He has obviously read a bit on the subject, but as for practical experience.....?

Methinks there is more to this than first meets the eye.......but as I said, I'm a cynic.

There are a couple of things that bother me though.

One was mentioned by Den and implied by others. That is attributing an emotion to fish, namely fear.

In my own opinion and experience, fish act out of instinct not fear. After all if it was fear, then being taken out of the water, laid on a mat, handled, weighed and photographed, would probabley scare the crap out of every fish that's caught.

Another thing, is that a few on here that argue for livebaiting, are against taking occasional freshwater fish for the pot. Strange one that. :blink:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Rabbit, I really don't know what planet you are on!! Kill or be killed is, and always will be the law of animal life.

Yes, we stick hooks into fish (and for Rabbit's sake, if we catch them - return them to the water) which is by TT's standard, Barbaric.

I cannot see how sticking a hook in a fish is barbaric, how many people does TT know that have body piercings? We put a hook through a little fish and put it back in the water, if it is taken by a larger predator fish, and that Predator fish is returned to the water, as far as I am concerned nothing out of the ordinary has happened. The predator fish will still kill and eat a smaller fish, whether it has a hook attached or not. If it wasn't the little fish with the hook in it, it would be another one!!

Body piercings what has that got to do with this? It is a choice that a person has made to inflict that on his or her self, hardly a reasonable argument to support your floundering argument is it? And you wonder what planet I am on. unless you can come up with a better response than that please dont expect me to reply.

Tell me what exactly is the difference between hooking a fish and hooking a bait fish.

Devils advocate here for a second.

If hooking a bait fish is wrong and cause pain, and then it is suggested that using other the live bait is the right way to catch a fish. Then isnt hooking the target fish the same as hooking the bait fish.

So if using bait is wrong then fishings wrong.

See where Im heading with this?

Anyway my take is, only kill or harvest the bait you need. Live baits fine with me I just prefer artificial for the challenge.

Ditch

Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be.

Is it just old cynical me, or does this thread smell a bit 'fishy'?

We have a self confessed newcomer to angling, who posts a few innocent queries and posts, until his probationary period is up (16 posts I believe). Then he suddenly has the experience to state that livebaiting is cruel and barbaric. Not an opinion or belief, but states it as a fact.

How he gains such insight into the methods used in angling in such a short period baffles me. A few months ago he was starting out with borrowed tackle, then asking what tackle he should buy, (no mention of pike tackle in his questions).

He has obviously read a bit on the subject, but as for practical experience.....?

Methinks there is more to this than first meets the eye.......but as I said, I'm a cynic.

John.

Agreed,the whole thread will probably end up as anti angling propoganda along the lines of "look even anglers agree their sport is barbaric"

I`d delete the whole lot,it`s all been said before and is doing no good.