Anyone getting any enjoyable fishing inn ?

Guest tigger

I think I'm gonna get myself some wood and build myself an ark and then I'm gonna get myself some animals(two of every kind)and sit it out :D seriously though not much doing for me,the rivers been up and down all week and with more rain forecast its just too difficult and probably dangerous,I suppose theres always the canal if I can find a gap big enough to fish between the dog muck :angry:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious if anyone is actually doing any productive and enjoyable fishing as the weather round here (Wigan, Lancashire) is just constant rain ?

On Tuesday I was that desperate to wet a line I tried a spot of trotting on the local small river but the water was up by several feet was full of floating debris and was that full of silt it looked like a mud slide. It also smelled just like raw sewage and it made me wonder how on earth any fish could survive in such conditions. It's Pi**ing down even as I speak / type and the garden is like a watering hole in Africa !

Depressing or what ?

Anyone having any luck ?

Tigger, you've replied to messages before so you are probaby aware I'm from Wigan too. The wife bought me a loads of fishing gear for Christmas and as yet I have not hardly had chance to use any of it.

I've managed just one session, during the Christmas holidays, spinning on the canal at Seven Stars. I got absolutely drowned and ended up fishing under the bridge. Wet and misrable I'd made my mind up it was time to head off home when last cast I actually caught a Jack. I did go home wet but fairly chuffed.

By the way have you seen the flood defences being but up on the Dougie near Asda? All very well but they are only being put up on one side, the water has to go somewhere. I fear they are protecting Asda by sending the floodwater back, up smithy brook and towards my estate (Worsley Mesnes)!

Well if Wales gets the promised 100mm rainfall over the weekend I could be fishing from my front door.the Severn and W. Avon are heavily flooded and with more to come will not fish for a minimum of 10 days. Last time I caught was Christmas Eve and had three lovely Chub...seriously thinking of fishing a roach packed commercial this weekend....sorry but desperate times!!

Jack are better than nothing.

I'm not the guy on the wall at JJB. I've never fished up that end it's tha apply bridge stretch I frequent. I know a few lads from Poolstock who fish over that area.

Tigger, who now owns the stretch at Appley bridge? I know Wigan AA has a stretch at Gathurst. I fished at Appley bridge a few times years ago and had some nice Chub and monster Perch. I'd like to give it a go again (when the weather comes better) if I can. Can I get a day ticket?

I've managed just one session, during the Christmas holidays, spinning on the canal at Seven Stars. I got absolutely drowned and ended up fishing under the bridge. Wet and misrable I'd made my mind up it was time to head off home when last cast I actually caught a Jack. I did go home wet but fairly chuffed.

By the way have you seen the flood defences being but up on the Dougie near Asda? All very well but they are only being put up on one side, the water has to go somewhere. I fear they are protecting Asda by sending the floodwater back, up smithy brook and towards my estate (Worsley Mesnes)!

If you want jack pike, the duggi normally fishes well, from the bus deppo down to the jjb. I prefer it when the water is really low and looks about 2 inches deep in most parts, this makes it easy to pick the deep pools, and best of all you can see where the bloody asda trolleys have been thrown in, if you snag one of them youv'e had it.

Was like this just before christmas, I was fishing and water was freezing on the eyes of the rods, but I had four and my mate caught two. We were only out an hour or so as well. :D

If you want jack pike, the duggi normally fishes well, from the bus deppo down to the jjb. I prefer it when the water is really low and looks about 2 inches deep in most parts, this makes it easy to pick the deep pools, and best of all you can see where the bloody asda trolleys have been thrown in, if you snag one of them youv'e had it.

Was like this just before christmas, I was fishing and water was freezing on the eyes of the rods, but I had four and my mate caught two. We were only out an hour or so as well. :D

Yes, I am very familiar with the stretch near the bus depot - I caught my first Pike there and a Perch which must have been approaching 3lb. I've also had my fair share of trolleys too!

You have mentioned that you have fished the flashes without luck. Have you ever tried the Scotmans for fish other than Pike? I've heard there are big Roach in there and would love to give them a go. Trouble is I wouldn't know where to start and I never see anybody fishing for anything other than Pike.

I'm curious if anyone is actually doing any productive and enjoyable fishing as the weather round here (Wigan, Lancashire) is just constant rain ?

Anyone having any luck ?

Had a 11 1/2 lb barble last week end, 5 large lob worms on a size 2 hook with the river well up, it's been raining all week here in the south east,perfect! I will be back on the river tomorrow and Sunday making the most of the flood conditions while they last.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Tigger, who now owns the stretch at Appley bridge? I know Wigan AA has a stretch at Gathurst. I fished at Appley bridge a few times years ago and had some nice Chub and monster Perch. I'd like to give it a go again (when the weather comes better) if I can. Can I get a day ticket?

Wigan has the stretch from the Navvy to Appley bridge. On the other side I'm not sure but I don't think anyone has it. Prince Alberts has it from parbold to the next stretch that is again on the Wigan card, I'm not sure if there's a bit of water in between that's not fished.

Houghton have you not tried Red ponds there near Worsley Maines and are on the Wigan card. I hear there's some crackin Tench in there (for later in the year).

Wigan has the stretch from the Navvy to Appley bridge. On the other side I'm not sure but I don't think anyone has it. Prince Alberts has it from parbold to the next stretch that is again on the Wigan card, I'm not sure if there's a bit of water in between that's not fished.

Houghton have you not tried Red ponds there near Worsley Maines and are on the Wigan card. I hear there's some crackin Tench in there (for later in the year).

I used to do all of my Tench fishing on the Waddicars. I haven't really fished the Red Ponds much since it was polluted in 1994 but I do believe that it is fishing very well for Tench in the summer. While on my way to the Latics match last spring I had a chat with someone fishing there and he'd had 20 odd Tench out.

It is one venue I've penciled in for the summer for an early morning session, that and a very early morning fishing session on Westwood Flash.

Yes, I am very familiar with the stretch near the bus depot - I caught my first Pike there and a Perch which must have been approaching 3lb. I've also had my fair share of trolleys too!

You have mentioned that you have fished the flashes without luck. Have you ever tried the Scotmans for fish other than Pike? I've heard there are big Roach in there and would love to give them a go. Trouble is I wouldn't know where to start and I never see anybody fishing for anything other than Pike.

I only normally fish the flashes and the Dougie for pike, but since you mentioned that 3lb perch....... :D

Somebody mentioned the red ponds for tench, I used to fish there quite a lot, would have been about 8 or nine years ago last time, we used to get a lot of quality tench near the submerged car in the corner. There was also good perch to be had but they always seemed battle scarred.