Do you feel safe fishing?

Houghton

Having started fishing again one thing has struck me is how uneasy I feel by the bank. There are too many, let's say, nob heads hanging about and being alone with hundreds of pound worth of gear worries me. It may be just the fact it's been along time since I went fishing and I'll get used to it or maybe because I am older and more sensible (?)

I used to go fishing regular alone but I don't feel safe doing that now which is why I am joining a fishing club.

I have two little lads and I hope to take them fishing one day, when they are a bit older, but I don't know if I could allow them to go on their own.

Does anybody else feel this way or it it just me being a wimp?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An excellent topic for discussion Houghton, and one that has particular relevance for me.

As a woman fishing alone most of the time, I am always conscious of the inherent dangers, and try to be aware.

However, when I first started, just a short time ago, it didn't bother me. I happily fished miles from anywhere on the canal or the river, or on my lovely little secluded lake. It was only after friends and family expressed concern about what I was doing that I began to question whether or not I was taking enough care of my own safety. They've put worries into my head that just weren't there before! I still fish the same places, but now I make sure that someone at least knows where I am, and when I'm expected back.

Happily, apart from one incident, my fishing has so far been safe and enjoyable. I hope it remains so.

I will not be put off by the thought of what could, or might happen. If we all did that, then we'd never get out and do anything!

Janet

Edited by Janet

you have just reminded me of how lucky i am to be fishing here in the wilds of france, no worry of being mugged here. mind you, i am quite sure that i heard a wild boar behind me the other morning :unsure:

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!

Having started fishing again one thing has struck me is how uneasy I feel by the bank. There are too many, let's say, nob heads hanging about and being alone with hundreds of pound worth of gear worries me. It may be just the fact it's been along time since I went fishing and I'll get used to it or maybe because I am older and more sensible (?)

I used to go fishing regular alone but I don't feel safe doing that now which is why I am joining a fishing club.

I have two little lads and I hope to take them fishing one day, when they are a bit older, but I don't know if I could allow them to go on their own.

Does anybody else feel this way or it it just me being a wimp?

I think we should feel pretty safe, after all we only have hundreds of pounds worth of tackle, some people have thousands. :o

It might be a good idea to ask for advice at the local council police on what they recommend on avoiding a conflict or protecting yourself. Mace spray? Baton? some sort of alarm-Air horn ? A 9mil?

If it's a regular problem then maybe the web sites and magazines and fishery owners, tackle/bait companies and the anglers themselves should put pressure on the Gov to do something about it.

The Gas

pirate.gif

Im 17 and have spend more than i should on gear (alot). and when i go out to my local commercial i used to feel uneasy and had to go with a mate, but now ive been going on my own intill late even through the site is RIGHT next to a pedunkle camp.

I see it as if someone wants to mug me then there going to have to get through a ass wooping with a 3m landing net and a steal toe capped boot lol. so for me its no a problem.

and for the person who said about the wild bore, well the other day i was packing up me seat box, i looked round and theres 3 stray donkeys just stairing at me, around 4-5 meters away lol. i truly wonder how long they have been there.

I have had one inncedent with someone stealing my kit. it was on a lake that was not controlled, and it was just then (3 lads and 2 girls) and me and my mate the other end. it was pitch black when we got there and had to set up about a hour into fishing the two girls came round wanting a chat (later we found out that the were coming round to cheack out what gear we had). then after catching a few we packed up and put our rods against the tent and went to bed. the next day woke up they were gone and 2 rods and 2 reels were gone (and this was about 8 in the morning). so the next day (still on holiday from school at this point) we went back at around 3. and there they were same tent and 2 more groups around the lake so we went up and was talking to them (they didnt see our facing the night before nether did we, but we reconised the tent) and i looked rod and there was my rod and rest sitting on his rest. i asked "thats a nice rod where did you get it" he replyed "got it for errrm christmas" then well i could tell you the rest but put it this way they left early with more than just dumb looks on there face's. (and i did get the rods back).

so my advice is to watch for what people are doing when your night fishing, and make sure your gear is surcure (its better to be safe than sorry) i was just lucky they came back.

exelent post, my best mate has lived in deptford now for 30 odd years and has had many good sessions over burgess park for all you that dont know its a little park pond in the middle of the old kent road need i say more,any way he used to go over there for a quick overniter in mid week however one night was woken up to a man leaning in to his bivvy luckey the weardo was no trouble and just wanted to talk about the days he fished over there before his prison sentance (nice) needless to say he hasnt done much over there of late but would you........