218Ib Halibut caught on a Yo-Zuri plug

Vidar6

Have a look at this, what an amazing fish to catch on a small Yo-Zuri plug when trolling for Sea trout. It took more than an hour to land the fish.

It is not entirely uncommon to catch Halibut on rod and line, but most are caught on large Shads or huge Nowegian Pirks.

www.villmarksinfo.no/fiske/nyhetsar...veite240504.htm

I have caught a 45Ib Halibut on rod and line and initially I thought I been snagged on the bottom, as they put up an incredible fight.

The Halibut was caught in the Saltstraumen area in Norway, the strongest tidal maelstrom in the world and one of the best marks in the world for catching Cod, Coalfish, Cat fish/Wolf fish, Haddock and Halibut.

In fact, the World Record Coal fish / Saithe has been caught in Saltstraumen, and currently stands at more than 54Ib.

home.c2i.net/rune.dahl/saltstraumen...tml#anchor69661

Vidar Thomassen

Tremendous picture in the paper but cannot understand the writing,must have had one too many beers!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Outstanding. I have a friend who has fished with relatives out in Alaska for halibut, and he tells me that the locals shoot their fish before gaffing it aboard. Apparently they flop around pretty violently and can do a lot of damage unless subdued. Those halibut are great tasting fish.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Severus,

I once saw a documentry on the Halibut fishing in Alaska.

They actually filmed on board while the guys fished.

In the documentry they mentioned the dangers of not subduing a fish before boating it.

The fisherman were carrying 9mm pistols,in holsters,on thier belts.

They would haul a fish to the side of the boat,and fire two rounds into the fish.

Apparently there was one guy who was a bit tight with the amunition,he put one round into a large fish,boated it and headed for home.

Half way home the fish started haveing its death throws,so the fiherman,in fear of looseing his boat and maybe his life,let the fish have another 6 rounds,.......yep the 6 rounds went through the bottom of the boat,he did make it home with his prize,his boat,and his life.

Apparently he ALWAYS fires two rounds now.

:D:D:D

Snatcher:

Tremendous picture in the paper but cannot understand the writing,must have had one too many beers!

No, not to many beers, you are only trying to read Norwegian :):):)

Mind you, with Norwegian beer prices, to many is an unfamiliar consept.

Sorry for the language, but the story was to good to miss :):)

Wow, good story, Yakity-Yak. Then it's true after all about having to cap those fish out there for your own safety. One or two halibut and I wouldn't have to fish for awhile, as big as they are.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Hi Squirrel,

:D What a day those guys had !!

It does sound from thier story,they could have been a tad,under prepared for thier day.

It also sounds like they were fishing from conventional Kayaks,....not sit on tops,like we use.

The sit on tops have normaly,6 scupper holes, so if you do take a wave, your craft drains straight away.(no bailing out).

The guy mentioned he had 4 inches of water in the bottom of the yak,plus two large fish......um not too good.

Still a very good read

:D:D

Cheers Yak