Cuba - Caya Coca

Elton

Posted on behalf of Tony. Please add all replies to this thread:

I am going to Cuba(caya coca) in March & would be grateful if anyone can give me information on what fishing tackle to take.

I have never done fly fishing but do have a spinning rod & reel.

Could you please tell me what type & colors off lures to use & what line would be best?

Any other info would be appreciated.

Many thanks Tony

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted on behalf of Tony. Please add all replies to this thread:

Err why would I post that :D

Cayo Coco offers some great fishing with just a spinning rod off the rocks but take a 50-100g model as the snapper Barracuda and Tarpon grow grow some size I generally use 30lb braid or 20lb mono over the rocks on a fixed spool set up and 80lb braid on a heavy duty multiplier if using a bait casting set up. Favourite lures are poppers in red white or sardine type patterns and always use a 50lb minimum wire trace with crosslock snaps and 1-1/0 crane type swivels.

Bait can be obtained from the hotel kitchen ask a waiter for cameron (shrimp) and a few pesos will get a decent bag full.

make sue you take all the tackle you will need as nothing at all can be purchased locally.

Guided trips can be arranged through Cubanacan or your tour company guide these would include deep see trolling for Billfish Dorado Barracuda etc. mangrove and spinning trips can be arranged through El Baga the local eco tourism outfit or through Cato Paradon Grande fishing lodge who can put you on really big Bonefish, Tarpon, Snapper and Jack Crevalle. I would also recommend talking to the guys who run the kayaks and catamarans from the hotel they will be able to arrange to take you out as well.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• 1 year later...
Err why would I post that :D

Cayo Coco offers some great fishing with just a spinning rod off the rocks but take a 50-100g model as the snapper Barracuda and Tarpon grow grow some size I generally use 30lb braid or 20lb mono over the rocks on a fixed spool set up and 80lb braid on a heavy duty multiplier if using a bait casting set up. Favourite lures are poppers in red white or sardine type patterns and always use a 50lb minimum wire trace with crosslock snaps and 1-1/0 crane type swivels.

Bait can be obtained from the hotel kitchen ask a waiter for cameron (shrimp) and a few pesos will get a decent bag full.

make sue you take all the tackle you will need as nothing at all can be purchased locally.

Guided trips can be arranged through Cubanacan or your tour company guide these would include deep see trolling for Billfish Dorado Barracuda etc. mangrove and spinning trips can be arranged through El Baga the local eco tourism outfit or through Cato Paradon Grande fishing lodge who can put you on really big Bonefish, Tarpon, Snapper and Jack Crevalle. I would also recommend talking to the guys who run the kayaks and catamarans from the hotel they will be able to arrange to take you out as well.

fished guillermo last june, caught bone from hotel beach and the better fish the cow fish, but wow the tarpon were fab , hooked into numerous but only landed a few, the best experiance ever... apart from the right tackle take stuff for the mossies

fished guillermo last june, caught bone from hotel beach and the better fish the cow fish, but wow the tarpon were fab , hooked into numerous but only landed a few, the best experiance ever... apart from the right tackle take stuff for the mossies

ACKOMEISTER

Where were you fishing for the Tarpon? The smaller fish tend to be in the creeks and laggons near the hotels but thre are some huge mothers by the Rocks at Pilar Beach or if tou can fish by the speedboats at night in the chanel by the cause way. Those Cow fish dont half pull butpound for pound Ballyhoo on ultralight geat take some neating, it makes catching bait great fun.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I'm off to Cuba this year, Tony. I don't want to know too much, as I believe that learning and discovery are the best parts of angling. I would rather to use my existing angling knowledge to work things out, than be told how to, if you know what I mean. But what species can I expect to find, if any, around Playa Pesquero? I just need to have a rough idea, so I know what to load my reel spools with.

Cheers

Steve

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Tony,

I don't think Steve's telling the whole truth.

He has been to Cuba before. However, as he quite rightly says, he prefers to use his "existing angling knowledge to work things out". The trouble is, as you'll see from the pics below, his angling knowledge is fairly restricted and the results somewhat inevitable.

22x1ub.jpg

4qoh2p.jpg

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Tony,

I don't think Steve's telling the whole truth.

He has been to Cuba before. However, as he quite rightly says, he prefers to use his "existing angling knowledge to work things out". The trouble is, as you'll see from the pics below, his angling knowledge is fairly restricted and the results somewhat inevitable.

22x1ub.jpg

4qoh2p.jpg

The only reason people don't catch cod in cuba, is they don't fish for them. If more people were able to put a whole unwashed squid 120 yards out, they would catch more cod. Cuba could become the new Iceland. (I might try Blueys when I go this year.)

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Don't drink and drive.

I'm off to Cuba this year, Tony. I don't want to know too much, as I believe that learning and discovery are the best parts of angling. I would rather to use my existing angling knowledge to work things out, than be told how to, if you know what I mean. But what species can I expect to find, if any, around Playa Pesquero? I just need to have a rough idea, so I know what to load my reel spools with.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

My sentiments exactly, Species you will encounter:

Inshore:

Barracuda, Snapper the local name is Pargo, Cowfish, Needle fish (bloody great big Garfish), Tarpon, Jacks (Crevall, Black) etc. Bonefish possibly my mate was staying at Guardalavaca nearby and saw a few there.

Deep water

Dorado (Mahi Mahi), Wahoo, King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Tuna, Bill fish (sailfish and marlin in small numbers and when in season, Grouper, Barrracuda (bigger than inshore and the mainstay of the charter boats),

If you need a list of the translation of Cuban English species names pm me with your email address and I will send it on to you

Edited by Tony U

Tony

Steve

My sentiments exactly, Species you will encounter:

Inshore:

Barracuda, Snapper the local name is Pargo, Cowfish, Needle fish (bloody great big Garfish), Tarpon, Jacks (Crevall, Black) etc. Bonefish possibly my mate was staying at Guardalavaca nearby and saw a few there.

Deep water

Dorado (Mahi Mahi), Wahoo, King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Tuna, Bill fish (sailfish and marlin in small numbers and when in season, Grouper, Barrracuda (bigger than inshore and the mainstay of the charter boats),

If you need a list of the translation of Cuban English species names pm me with your email address and I will send it on to you

Wow! Plenty to keep me occupied then. Most of my fishing will be from the beach, or very close inshore, (kayak or pedalo!) I might be tempted to take a deep sea trip, though, if I can escape for a day. I've sent you my email address in a PM. Thanks.

Elton

I'm taking some frozen herring with me, because I'm sure there would be roker there if anyone fished for them. :D

Don't drink and drive.

Wow! Plenty to keep me occupied then. Most of my fishing will be from the beach, or very close inshore, (kayak or pedalo!) I might be tempted to take a deep sea trip, though, if I can escape for a day. I've sent you my email address in a PM. Thanks.

Elton

I'm taking some frozen herring with me, because I'm sure there would be roker there if anyone fished for them. :D

Steve

there are some big rays out there and they come close in as well; you can also catch big eye herring (Sardinas is the local name), on small hokais or sabiki rigs, and they are spot on as bait

Edited by Tony U

Tony