Coarse vs. Game

Houseplant

There are also divisions within coarse anglings various disciplines. Until those are sorted out, I don't think there's much chance of uniting coarse and game.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who has fished for (and caught) a pretty wide range of shore, coarse, deep sea, game, and big game species, and enjoyed them all, I have not got a lot of patience with "them and us" snobberies.

Carp fishers looking down on float fishers, Trotters looking down on match fishers, Trout anglers looking down on roach fishers, Salmon fishers looking down on trout fishers - its all a bit pathetic as we are all anglers.

Its not anything to do with wealth and culture either. At bottom we are all anglers. as I said before. The classic pose is to say you should be able to fish with Dukes or dustmen - well I've never fished with a Duke, but I have fished with a Prince, I've never fished with a dustman either but had to make do with some of you roughnecks on AN instead. :rolleyes::rolleyes: . Whether fishing with princes or roughnecks I've found them good angling companions and enjoyed my fishing.

That's all that counts with me.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

But what happens when you get someone just like me, sitting on a box with a 13 meter pole one day who also enjoys the roaming/lure fishing approach the next, amongst other methods but never have casted a fly.

...or someone like me who regularly lure fishes for pike and fly fishes for trout, but has never held a pole and has no interest in doing so :)

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

...or someone like me who regularly lure fishes for pike and fly fishes for trout, but has never held a pole and has no interest in doing so :)

I would actually try fly fishing to see if it hits the spot, have looked before but never gotten around to it its just another way of fishing.

Jolanta's post about grayling made me think how ridiculous the distinction between coarse and game fishing is. It's totally artificial. I enjoy catching trout on 'coarse' gear and catching 'coarse' fish on fly gear. The old stereotypes of coarse and game anglers just don't hold true anymore, I can see little distinction on the basis of class or money and I know a lot of people who 'coarse' and 'game' fish. How about we just have freshwater fishing. What do you think?

Let's just be 'anglers' - that way, we can throw 'big game fishing' into the equation :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

As someone who has fished for (and caught) a pretty wide range of shore, coarse, deep sea, game, and big game species, and enjoyed them all, I have not got a lot of patience with "them and us" snobberies.

Carp fishers looking down on float fishers, Trotters looking down on match fishers, Trout anglers looking down on roach fishers, Salmon fishers looking down on trout fishers - its all a bit pathetic as we are all anglers.

Its not anything to do with wealth and culture either. At bottom we are all anglers. as I said before. The classic pose is to say you should be able to fish with Dukes or dustmen - well I've never fished with a Duke, but I have fished with a Prince, I've never fished with a dustman either but had to make do with some of you roughnecks on AN instead. :rolleyes::rolleyes: . Whether fishing with princes or roughnecks I've found them good angling companions and enjoyed my fishing.

That's all that counts with me.

Roughnecks! I'm taking note of these remarks for next time your hovering over a river on a steep wet muddy bank and you've got no grip. :oops::whistling:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

TBH I just go to enjoy the peace and quiet. What I catch and how I catch it is irrelevant. Selfish I know but I prefer to fish alone..

ps My wife hates fish.. :thumbs:

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I entirely agree.

I have been trying to get rid of this attitude for over 30 years within my club and the North East in general.

As a member of NAFAC I was invited to a meeting of several clubs last year to give a talk and information about joining.

Everything was great and all seemed eager to join... until I produced the membership application forms.

Anyone would have thought I'd thrust a crucifix in front of Dracula!

The reason...the front cover carried a photograph of a large barbel.

I'm almost there with my own club, sadly the North East (Northumbria) will take a little more time. Two - three generations perhaps.

Another example was when as Secretary of the River Wear Fisheries Improvement, together with the Chairman, we were given the task of re writing the constitution.

The main stumbling block was voting rights. Under a 1 vote per club system the game clubs argued that coarse angling would have as much if not more influence as game.

Sadly democracy does not enter into equation with game anglers in this region

Even today some game clubs do not allow their members to fish for coarse fish although many rivers now have some excellent coarse fish. Even grayling fishing is frowned upon within some clubs.

There was an excellent article on the divisions that still exist up here in Northumbria the Oct/November issue of Waterlog.

As far as I'm concerned an angler is an angler, there should be no distinctions.

We are all being asked by the EA to share our waters with canoeists, it's just a shame we cant share with fellow anglers.

Rant over!

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

I entirely agree.

I have been trying to get rid of this attitude for over 30 years within my club and the North East in general.

As a member of NAFAC I was invited to a meeting of several clubs last year to give a talk and information about joining.

Everything was great and all seemed eager to join... until I produced the membership application forms.

Anyone would have thought I'd thrust a crucifix in front of Dracula!

The reason...the front cover carried a photograph of a large barbel.

I'm almost there with my own club, sadly the North East (Northumbria) will take a little more time. Two - three generations perhaps.

Another example was when as Secretary of the River Wear Fisheries Improvement, together with the Chairman, we were given the task of re writing the constitution.

The main stumbling block was voting rights. Under a 1 vote per club system the game clubs argued that coarse angling would have as much if not more influence as game.

Sadly democracy does not enter into equation with game anglers in this region

Even today some game clubs do not allow their members to fish for coarse fish although many rivers now have some excellent coarse fish. Even grayling fishing is frowned upon within some clubs.

There was an excellent article on the divisions that still exist up here in Northumbria the Oct/November issue of Waterlog.

As far as I'm concerned an angler is an angler, there should be no distinctions.

We are all being asked by the EA to share our waters with canoeists, it's just a shame we cant share with fellow anglers.

Rant over!

Tight Lines,

Wearyone