Coarse vs. Game

Houseplant

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the distinction between coarse and game fish was (1) the adipose fin and (2) their breeding seasons, and hence their traditional fishing seasons?

I'd like to say we should all just get along, but fishing is so diverse and people's preferences so polarised that I think we all have our prejudices, well-founded or otherwise. Sometimes this does manifest itself in snobbery and equally in reverse snobbery, and isn't particularly attractive.

I love catching trout on trotting gear, although they can be a pain when I'm after grayling, chub or dace. Equally, I love catching coarse fish on fly tackle. But I still maintain that the best and most exciting way to catch a trout is on the dry fly. Nothing to do with snobbery, but it just is!

I agree that it would be great if more trout rivers opened for coarse fishing outside of the trout season, provided the trout were carefully returned. Especially if big roach are present :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I thought the distinction between coarse and game fish was (1) the adipose fin and (2) their breeding seasons, and hence their traditional fishing seasons?

That's where the grayling is an enigma though. It has an adipose fin but breeds with the Coarse fish.

Paul

Some might say the old close season was first intoduced not to protect breeding fish but to clear the rivers of working class course fisherman during the game season.

I'm all for unification it might help in changing legislation to protect course fish to the same degree as game fish.

Shaun, Still learning how to fish.