Rare or unusual fish that you have caught in the UK

bluerinse

Rumor has it there was a terapin in the red ponds at wigan, that was years ago I never saw one and I think that might be forgotton now, there used to be a warm strech of canal too where a pet shop aparently emptied his tanks before going bust?

Anyone heard these before?

One of my local club lakes has a couple of terrapins living on it.By all accounts they have been there for years

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has it there was a terapin in the red ponds at wigan, that was years ago I never saw one and I think that might be forgotton now, there used to be a warm strech of canal too where a pet shop aparently emptied his tanks before going bust?

Anyone heard these before?

I've seen a large terrapin caught from a park lake.

There certainly used to be a stretch of canal at St Helens which was industrially warmed and held tropicals:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=6043

I had a flounder on float-fished maggot from a stretch of river in Castle Park, Colchester. That was a bit of a shock, but I understand that they often frequent fresh water. Quite how it jumped up the weir gates is beyond me, though.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've seen a large terrapin caught from a park lake.

There certainly used to be a stretch of canal at St Helens which was industrially warmed and held tropicals:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=6043

Yeah it was called the hotties! It was warm as the water came out of the cooling towers. It's only 20mins from me and we used to go as kids catching guppies plus several other tropical fish.

I don't know if the cooling towers still pump out the warm water or not.

I had a flounder on float-fished maggot from a stretch of river in Castle Park, Colchester. That was a bit of a shock, but I understand that they often frequent fresh water. Quite how it jumped up the weir gates is beyond me, though.

We used to catch a lot of flounders on the R Wharfe at Tadcaster, (it's tidal up to the weir).

In my teens, after a particularly successful day, we released about 50-60 of them above the weir.

The reports of surprise catches of them upstream at Boston Spa, used to bring a wry smile to our faces. :rolleyes:

And before you ask. No Elton, I've never fished near Colchester. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yeah it was called the hotties! It was warm as the water came out of the cooling towers. It's only 20mins from me and we used to go as kids catching guppies plus several other tropical fish.

I remember AT doing a feature on this stretch back in the 70s. Anglers at that time were frequently getting bite-offs from cichlids!

My most unusual capture was a 2lb sterlet from Home Farm in Alsager a couple of years back. The place used to be a fish farm before becoming a commercial about 15 years ago, and the occasional oddity still turns up.

I remember AT doing a feature on this stretch back in the 70s. Anglers at that time were frequently getting bite-offs from cichlids!

My most unusual capture was a 2lb sterlet from Home Farm in Alsager a couple of years back. The place used to be a fish farm before becoming a commercial about 15 years ago, and the occasional oddity still turns up.

Sorry to hijack the thread but Davy do you know what species are in the Weaver? Just thought you might know with being in Cheshire.