Rare or unusual fish that you have caught in the UK

bluerinse

Hiya,

Not really rare down South but I did catch a Bullhead in the river Cart in Paisley around 25 years ago, also had sone Loaches out of a local burn. I also used to fet a fair few Powan while fishing for roach on Loch Lomond

They disappeared for while Davy but in the last 2-3 years they've made a reappearance even up as far as my neck of the woods; Busby, Waterfoot etc. There are loaches too but the variety I'm not sure of. The area you mentioned at Paisley Watermill produces flounders (yes flounders!!), dace, roach, pike, perch, eels, sea trout, salmon, brownies, rainbows, minnows, sticklebacks, loaches and I'm sure there will be the odd chub and possibly even bream since they present in the Clyde.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this question is asked in another 15-20 yrs time, I wonder what the answers will be?

If the mass introduction of 'exotics', (and the spread of them by floods etc), has the effect I believe it will, then we could be talking about some of our indigenous species.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

While out fishing the river Stour just above Kidderminster the weekend my brother caught this very strange fish. I have no idea what it is though. Sorry about the crap photo but I only had my camera phone with me and it hates close-ups. Any Ideas??

post-4584-1201634351_thumb.jpg

Effort equals reward!!

While out fishing the river Stour just above Kidderminster the weekend my brother caught this very strange fish. I have no idea what it is though. Sorry about the crap photo but I only had my camera phone with me and it hates close-ups. Any Ideas??

Looks like a stickleback to me, Anthony.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

id say thats a stickleback or possibly a gudgeon, however who knows in this day and age it could be a corydoras, my brother keeps then and feeds them on pinkies

Edited by mjbarnes12
wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Hiya Andy,

They disappeared for while Davy but in the last 2-3 years they've made a reappearance even up as far as my neck of the woods; Busby, Waterfoot etc. There are loaches too but the variety I'm not sure of. The area you mentioned at Paisley Watermill produces flounders (yes flounders!!), dace, roach, pike, perch, eels, sea trout, salmon, brownies, rainbows, minnows, sticklebacks, loaches and I'm sure there will be the odd chub and possibly even bream since they present in the Clyde.

That's good to hear, I started fishing the pool at the Watermill around 1976 and I never seen another soul for nearly 1 year. Back then I had perch to 3lb, brownies to 2lb 8oz, Roach to 2lb, loads of eels & Flounders and over the next few years I added a Grayling of just under 2lb, the Bullhead, The Stone Loach, minnows, Sticklebacks, Sea trout (the first recorded) and lost one of the first Salmon seen in the river. I also seen but never managed to catch a clonking great big Goldfish and a shoal of around 20 Gudgeon.

Funnily enough I was over there last weekend and had a look at it, boy has it changed since I last fished in 1984.

oops forgot to add:

Anthony78 the fish in your pic is a female 3 Spined Stickleback

Edited by Davy Holt

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

yeah i would say thats a stickleback

a local pond near here (now sadly filled in) used to have thousands of them in, the water was crystal clear and i often used to watch perch feeding on them

they can be a nuisance not big enough to move the float but enjoy bitting your maggot to bits

the same lake used to hold koi a the tale goes that someones prize fish ended up being dumped in there after an arguement with his wife

i dont think that too many of them that where caught made it back into the pond and where taken home for garden ponds

i used to spend hours trying to get one that looked to be about 6 to 8lb to take floating bread but never managed to get any interest from it

Yes thats definately a stickleback, there are 3 spined and ten spined but Ive never seen a ten spined one though.

The Males have bright red breasts in the breeding season for display, but the females are a drab colour all year round.

We often caught a few in our local brook and kept them in a tank at school.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Yep, and that loos like the three spined variety. They were extremely common where I grew up in Greater Manchester, and were present in almost all of the waters I fished as a kid. They were in the canal, the ponds, just about the only thing in the Tame back then... I always assumed that they were equally common nationwide, but it would seem that they are not. I want a few for my wildlife pond, but can I get my hands on any locally?

Interesting little fish, I did my undergraduate honours project on their learning abilities; hiding food in a seed tray at the bottom of a tank and seeing how long they took to find it. I spent weeks watching the bloody things in a dimly lit room and recording where they swam. It was only when I started analysing the data that I spotted a fatal flaw in my experimental design, they're so aggressive that they spent a lot of time chasing their reflections in the glass, which completely skewed their foraging effectiveness :headhurt: