Rare or unusual fish that you have caught in the UK

bluerinse

Sorry to hijack the thread but Davy do you know what species are in the Weaver? Just thought you might know with being in Cheshire.

I don't fish it myself, but the matches are usually won with bream and/or roach. There's also some hefty carp and pike, but these are few and far between. Nothing exotic in there that I've heard of, but this shop is the best one for more detailed info:

http://www.daves-fishing.co.uk/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't fish it myself, but the matches are usually won with bream and/or roach. There's also some hefty carp and pike, but these are few and far between. Nothing exotic in there that I've heard of, but this shop is the best one for more detailed info:

http://www.daves-fishing.co.uk/

Thank's Davy.

I havent caught any unusual fish but I caught a turtle when trotting maggot for roach on the upper lea. It was a goer about 1.5lb and put up a nice fight.

Probably tipped in there when it got too big for someones aquarium.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

i once caught a small perch only of a few ounces that had no barring on it and was silverish blue in colour, at first i wondered what the hell it was but the shape and topped spined dorsal confirmed it was definitely a perch

Thats just reminded me of fish tommy ruff, they look like a cross between perch and roach, perch shape and fins but orance eyes and possibly fins from what I remember I think they are like 80 grit sandpaper as well :D

I too have caught a Perch (although it was a bit bigger - 1lb+) without barring, if the shape had been different (more "stretched") I would have said it was a Zander cross!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I caught a Crested Newt once on worm. Wasn't hooked though, it had just swallowed a lenght of the worm and was stuck on it. It was released and I let it keep it's peice of worm.

As I said on the "target for the year" thread I have had 87 British species (some are quite unusual, but I won't bore you with a list :) ) and my target for the year is to bring that up to 100.

That's going to involve catching even more unusual fish. Charr and bitterling are two freshies on my hit list, but most will have to come from the sea - like Bloch's Topknot, Solenette, and Atlantic Trigger Fish.

Will target the odd roach and perch from time to time to preserve a bit of sanity.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I don't fish it myself, but the matches are usually won with bream and/or roach. There's also some hefty carp and pike, but these are few and far between.

Plenty of tench in some areas, too, if I remember rightly.

a paradise fish, my great uncle had to identify it, caught it free lining floating maggots on a local commerial, must have been released from a aquarium, wasnt happy at being caught, i released it back into the pond, doubt it survoved winter

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....