Rare or unusual fish that you have caught in the UK

bluerinse

Snake,

Two points, first, here's a UK site I found by accident.

http://www.pikezander.co.uk/zander.html

Second, how about the other way around? Walleye and sauger that we have over here are from the same genus (Sander) as the zander you guys catch. They're two separate species from your zander, but they are closely-enough related that when zander were illegally introduced into areas in the northern US in the '70s they quickly hybridized with walleye, which are also able to hybridize with sauger. We also once had a third species called the blue walleye that has been extinct for several decades. Again, that species was a member of the genus Sander.

I would suspect the "other way around" would be true also. (?) Walleye to Zander - Zander to Walleye.

Phone

Ohh, the "blue walleye" may have just been mis-identified. I'm not sure. (?)

Edit: on the subject - I once caught a never before caught virgin carp in the UK.

In 1925 a consignment of what were thought to be black bass fingerlings, obtained from the US, were placed in the Ouse, and in 1934 a walleye of 11-12 was caught from the connected river Delph. That fish is the British walleye record. None caught since.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic