Gods image.

gozzer

I can answer that:

GOD KNOWS!!

:lol: Nice one Kleinboet.

But which God?

And surely those that are considered to be Gods representaives on Earth, and claim to interpret the words of their chosen 'bible' must have some idea?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get away with this notion of 'man' (humans) being created in the image of this god thing, and the only reason I can see for it being gendered as a 'he'is so that human males can identify as being more like god than everything else, and so superior to all other life forms.

What makes god male? does it have a penis and if so why? the human body is highly likley to have graually evolved to suit life on planet earth, feet to walk on solid ground, lungs to recyle air bowel and bladder to dump the waste, why would a god need all those things, the christian imagery show thier god floatin' around in a nightie on a cloud, does it eat? if so what? and if not then why does it need a backside?

Corydoras said that even if the thing did exist than it woudn't be somthing worthy of our worship. I have to argree. christians are shameless 'cherry pickers', choosing the nice cuddly warm jesusy bits of the bible, while rarley coming up with a convinceing response to the analysis of thier god as a deeply disturbed egotistic monster who demands genicide, infantsicide and the ritualised torture and murder of those who it sees as a threat. Hardly something one could 'respect' (KB lamented the lack of respect people seem to show). for example Abraham was prepared to make a human sacrifice of his own son. Moses, in spite of the commandment not to kill having been delivered by him, gave orders for the Mideanites to be ethnically cleansed. Third, and in a revolting episode in the Book of Judges it is suggested to be preferable to allow your daughter to be raped than your male guest.

The discourse surrounding the continued physical evolution of humans is worthwhile and I especially found the comments by Wayne regarding continued 'mental' evolution as especially good. As a species we do ourselves an injustice to imagine that we have to rely upon the bible (or any other dogmatic document) to show us how to live with each other, there is a contemporary moral consensus that depends on neither holy texts nor religious leaders, but perhaps on our evolution. We have worked out for ourselves as social animals what is not acceptable: raping, murdering, stealing. Those things do still go on but we have secular laws in place to address them

Our morality is 'constantly evolving'. Half a century ago most of us in the UK were to some extent racist, now much fewer are. We used to lock up gay people and torture them with electric shock treatment, now there are laws safely in place to protect everyone regardless of thier sexual orientation. The institutionalised homophobia of the christian church proved to be a block to this, and some elements within in it still insist upon preaching thier hate message and use 'gods laws' to rationalise their misery making.

A modern and sensible analysis of the god thing would be one of dangerous psychopath and history is littered with countless examples horrors inflicted upon people by those acting as 'his' agents. It still goes on, examples abound with extremists from the three main abramic cults (islam, judaism and christianity) commiting frightful actocities towards on another in order to please the 'god monster' in the sky.

Children are subject to what can only be described as 'abuse' as they are force fed horror stories about being condemmed to hell for failing to comply with the religious rules. It (christianity) can also be veiwed as a virus, children are especially prone to this infection because they are genetically preprogrammed to accumulate knowledge from figures of authority, this means a child will believe whatever it is told, including nonsense. Fortunetely many of us manage to shake off the virus as we grow up, thanks to the medicine of rationality, but some don't and so expose the following generation to the infection.

Remember what it was like as a kid? there comes a point where we are told that there is no such thing as Santa Claus, nor the tooth fairy and we got told 'not to be silly, there is no such thing as ghosts' when we cried in fear following nightmares, yet at school we were expected, very often by the teachers who were charged with informing us about the world which we had been born into, to believe in an invisible man, who no one had ever seen, who lived up in the clouds somewhere and who controlled events here on earth, and significantly if we didn't belive in him then we would go to a place where we would be tortured fo all eternity!

Many christians set themselves up as anti-abortionists, proclaiming the sanctity of all life, yet my stillborn brother lies in an unmarked plot of unconcecrated ground, because despite his mother being a christian, he had not been babtised and therefore not a club member.

Some argue that christians are harmless and the good that they do in the name of their god justifies their existence, however the seemingly innocent practices are the breeding ground of dangerous fundamantalism.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

There is no shortage of people who believe that genesis took place in seven literal days.

Yes, and its those who take a 'literal' interpretation of the scriptures who are especially worrying. If they simply sat around with each other sharing views on this patent nonsense then who would realy care? However they are seen to be worming themselves into positions of political power as we see as the religious, conservative right in the US.

The 'endtimers' who take a literal view of the pre-ordained armageddon (not the one with Bruce Willis, and the fantasic Aerosmith soundtrack ;) as written in the book of revelation, belive that the end of the world is the culmination of human existence, and after that thier god can sort out the 'goodies' from the 'baddies', one of those nut cases in the white house presents a worrying prospect for us all, and while once the notion of that happening may have seemed unlikley, now it doesn't!

I met one of these 'literalists' fairly recently, it send a cold shiver up the spine when you actually look into the eyes of one. I wa still working then and she approached me at lunch, her opening gambit was that the young people who I worked supporting would be doomed to an eternity in hell, she quoted levicitus (old testament) and how jesus affirmed this in romans (new testament). She maintained that their sexual orientation was a matter of personal choice and that by choosing to be who they are made them inheritantly evil. She talked lots, when she got around to her insistance that the earth was only 6000 years old, because 'god hadn't made it before that', I had to excuse myself and moved away (she had taken it upon herself to sit next to me at lunch) pointing out that I simply couldn't have a serious conversation with one so deluded. (that was the polite version of what I was actually thinking).

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Let try putting another way :D Scientist must have a belief in what they do or as intelligent beings (hopefully) they would not do it. And I am not referring to petty issues like a flat earth theory or electricity. Thinking more along the lines of little black holes. :rolleyes::D
But Ken, there are no scientists who believe in 'little black holes'. No physicist seriously expects any micro black holes will be created by the LHC.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I can answer that:

GOD KNOWS!!

That's not an answer, that's an non answer. That's as satisfactory to me as an adult as when my parents said 'because I said so' when I was a child.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

kenl - nice balanced report, giving both sides of the argument (pity Emma2 didn't read it!)

Cory, I know it's not the answer you want, but try coming up with another one - God, whether you believe it or not is omnipotent and (on the lines of Dr Who and The Matrix) dimensions do not exist for him/her/it

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

But Ken, there are no scientists who believe in 'little black holes'. No physicist seriously expects any micro black holes will be created by the LHC.

Well let us all hope they have it all under control magnets and all and don't create a B****Y big hole what ever the colour. :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

That's the one, thanks Cory.

It does make sense to me, that the more we 'mess' with natural selection, the less chances we have of evolving.

John.

Well it doesn't make sense to me John, nor to many of his peers.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/10/very_peculiar.php

http://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2008/10/steve...olution-is.html

That's just two references, I could go on all night.

This seven day thing! I had the self same explanation given to me by a a devout christian as klienie gave to us

When I pionted out that why would God our creator and all knowing tell us days when he ment Thousands of millenia,knowing that we his creation use,

Seconds,Minutes, Hours,Days,weeks and so on as a way of measureing time,and would have been quite able to comprehend any time frame he gave us , my friend decided to talk about other things, she went on to be my wife and now asks god to help her regulaly :D

I am also quite comfortable with accepting that There has never ever been nothing at all,I have a dull recolection of a Physics lesson on one of the days I decided to grace school with my Presence Something about you can not destroy matter only alter the state that it exists in, sorry if thats wrong it was thirty odd years ago if you Deny that one point dont you jepodise your own belief? if you feel the need to create a 0 hour at some piont by your own beliefe the diety of your chioce didnt exist then all of a sudden did, if that is a valid statement why couldnt hydrogen for example just blink into existence. One thing about the Buddist belief system that I agree with is nothing lasts for ever even gods!

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

kenl - nice balanced report, giving both sides of the argument (pity Emma2 didn't read it!)

kleinboet, are you seriously suggesting that the page that I linked to was "balanced" ?

It's the delusional rantings of a fundamentalist christian.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.