another dog attack

captain cojones

Paul

Apologies for the confusion

But what more evidence do you need than what is already before you? Remember the child that was killed at the Rocket Pub in Leicester by a Rottweiler? The very recent case also of a woman losing an arm and suffering other injuries to a Rottweiler attack. There have been other attacks on children and no this most recent attack on the elderly man...so why do you insist on a league table of most dangerous dogs to prove an undeniable fact that the breed is dangerous?

I did say the Rottweiler was a guarding dog in a previous post and you replied that was in your words crap. However it would appear that none other than the Kennel Club describe the breed as such.

I am crazy about all dogs, I have been a RAF police dog handler and do obedience training for folks who need a hand with their dogs, needless to say its the owner who needs to be instructed and how to handle a large dog correctly, and believe me the majority I see did not have a clue before taking on the responsability of a large and potentially dangerous dog.

So rather than you confusing me with wanting some kind of witch hunt on the breed I dont, what I think is needed is compulsory training for anyone who wants to own such a dog, and perhaps to deter anyone owning such a dog that have young children.

Yes ,i would echo Rabbits thoughts. :thumbs:

And as already stated , i happen to believe it is more of a status / kudos attitude when taking on a dog such as a rotty , more thought and consideration really needs to be taken before having such a large animal which is capable of such tragedies.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first one (post #29) was fine. Post #30 was just strange.

I even happen to agree it would be nice if folks who opted to own one of the strong breeds could somehow be required to have a clue about handling them before they bought them. Not likely to happen but would be nice.

However, after you posted, Not crap at all, truth is the breed HAS been bred as a guarding dog in the last century and has the second only to the Pit Bull for attacks on people, you should not be surprised that you were asked to back up that statement with a source or two which you have not done.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The first one (post #29) was fine. Post #30 was just strange.

I even happen to agree it would be nice if folks who opted to own one of the strong breeds could somehow be required to have a clue about handling them before they bought them. Not likely to happen but would be nice.

However, after you posted, Not crap at all, truth is the breed HAS been bred as a guarding dog in the last century and has the second only to the Pit Bull for attacks on people, you should not be surprised that you were asked to back up that statement with a source or two which you have not done.

I did I quoted from a publication by Steve Batchelor the comment that the Rottweiler was second in the list for attacks on people, check my previous post again please. As far as my comment about the breed being a guarding dog that was what I understood from my own experience, and was on checking with what the Kennel Club description of Rottwelers happened to concur what I thought. a quick search on google will support all of this.

Newt some of what people say are born out of life experiences and such comments are still acceptable in this country without having to scrutinise every word as to their legality or cast iron authenticity. I and anyone else cannot always be totally correct on what we post on here, but at least what I post is done in good faith , and if I am incorrect I will admit it. However please feel free to check with what I have said and then feel free to also admit you just may have got it wrong. Until then.....

Not sure how accurate these figures are but I can find alot more dangers than keeping a so called dangerous dog :rolleyes:

Chance of dying from being bitten by a dog: 1 in 700,000

Odds of injury from fireworks: 19,556 to 1

Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1

Odds of being killed sometime in the next year in any sort of transportation accident: 77 to 1

Odds of being struck by lightning: 576,000 to 1

Odds of being murdered: 18,000 to 1

Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in 18,585

Chance of dying from any kind of fall: 1 in 20,666

Chance of dying from exposure to smoke, fire, and flames: 1 in 81,524

Chance of dying in an explosion: 1 in 107,787

Need I go on lol

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

heres a quick link to some dog attack statisics i found dog bite statistics. according to this guy out of the pure breed german shepherds and chow chows are most likely to bite, although he does say later that between 1979 and 1998 at least 25 breeds of dog had been involved in fatal dog attacks of which in more than 50% of the attacks either pitbulls or rottweilers were involved.

Personally i always thought little yappy dogs were most likely to bite you but obviously the damage they can inflict is considerably less than say a rottweiler or german shepherd.

according to this llink in the uk the dog most likely to send you to hospital with a bite is the spanieluk dog bite stats.

Edited by snakey1

Not sure how accurate these figures are but I can find alot more dangers than keeping a so called dangerous dog :rolleyes:

Chance of dying from being bitten by a dog: 1 in 700,000

Odds of injury from fireworks: 19,556 to 1

Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1

Odds of being killed sometime in the next year in any sort of transportation accident: 77 to 1

Odds of being struck by lightning: 576,000 to 1

Odds of being murdered: 18,000 to 1

Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in 18,585

Chance of dying from any kind of fall: 1 in 20,666

Chance of dying from exposure to smoke, fire, and flames: 1 in 81,524

Chance of dying in an explosion: 1 in 107,787

Need I go on lol

Phew , thank god for that then. Heres me thinking that we had a nasty dog epidemic on our hands.

The first 'odds' that you state......., send the link to the mother of the baby that was mauled to death over here in Wakefield and then i'm sure she can strike you off her christmas card list.

So considering that the general population of this country is pushing 70 million , would i be correct in assuming that the mortality rate of dog bites / attacks would be hovering around the 100 mark?

Hey ho , theres still plenty more bulletins of babies , children , men and women left to be shown this year then.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

So rather than you confusing me with wanting some kind of witch hunt on the breed I dont, what I think is needed is compulsory training for anyone who wants to own such a dog, and perhaps to deter anyone owning such a dog that have young children.

Whilst I don't agree with all you say here Rabbit, I can understand the sentiment. For instance, the Kennel Club should come into the 21st Century and regulate the indiscriminate breeding and selling of any current 'fashionable' and/or large breed much more effectively, or any breed for that matter. The problem is there is money to be made in puppy farming and many large and poorly bred dogs are sold to anybody with the cash by people who don't know the first thing about their dogs. It shouldn't be that simple.

Paul

Yes its sad when someone looses their life but why should it be any different to if they where ran over by a drunk at the wheel of a car? If you are in favor of banning dogs due to them being a danger to the public, then why shouldn't cars, alcohol etc be banned? Surely these are more of a danger to the public than any dog?

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Rabbit, I know you got the avatars confused, but just for the record I have an Otterhound and have previously owned and worked springer spaniels, labradors and lurchers.

If you read through either the Kennel Club definitions, or Steve Batchelor's definitions of breed temperaments, you will see that most of them have "guarding" characteristics, its one of a dogs basic instincts.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Pedigree dog owners, and Kennel Club members in particular, are half wits. I used to have a cross between a labrador and a poodle. The pedigree chums would come up to me and say what a beautiful dog he was, until they found out he was a half breed and then they'd visibly gag at the thought that they'd admired a mongrel. I sometimes told them he was an otterhound so they didn't feel so bad. Funny thing is that they now call them labradoodles and, since they are now "designer dogs", the pedigree chums will happily pay £1500 for them :rolleyes: