Hair rigging sweetcorn?

Codger

Have any of you hair rigged sweetcorn? Is it good for ledger/feeder fishing? How many should I put on the hair etc!I presume when float fishing you put it/them straight onto the hook ?

Also while I am about it!!!! Why is it that some baits like bread, which work like a dream in the warmer months, don't do so well in the winter it seems?

I know I am a bit of a fishing numpty....but any help gratefully received as usual!!!

Cheers!!!!

:D

Have any of you hair rigged sweetcorn? Is it good for ledger/feeder fishing? How many should I put on the hair etc!I presume when float fishing you put it/them straight onto the hook ?

hair rigged sweetcorn was my 'standard' carp method for years! i put 3 - 4 large grains on a hair quite tight to the bend of the hook. if fishing on the bottom, i would incoporate a fake, floaty bit of corn (makes it a pop-up and better withstands casting), but consider how far off the bottom it's going to take the hook. just off is perfect, so you *may* need to add a small shot just above the hook.

it would work well for float fishing provided you fish the bait on the bottom as you would when fishing the lift method.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Also while I am about it!!!! Why is it that some baits like bread, which work like a dream in the warmer months, don't do so well in the winter it seems?

I know I am a bit of a fishing numpty....but any help gratefully received as usual!!!

Cheers!!!!

:D

That's probably the first bait I hair-rigged and it's a corker. Really good for carp and bream.

I use three pieces or corn, varying in size, 'speared' 1xthru side 1x thru front, 1x thru top to bottom. It breaks up the shape of the bait, seems to produce more bites than just three side-on.

The hair should look something like this D0O--- rather than DDD--- *if that makes sense*

Try attaching a small knotted bag, size of a 10p-piece of mesh-PVA, with some dried-off corn and small pellets, to the hook.

Different baits for different seasons, all depends where the fish are in the water, the colour of the water and how hungry they are.

Hope that helps..only been fishing myself for 3 yrs

That's probably the first bait I hair-rigged and it's a corker. Really good for carp and bream.

I use three pieces or corn, varying in size, 'speared' 1xthru side 1x thru front, 1x thru top to bottom. It breaks up the shape of the bait, seems to produce more bites than just three side-on.

The hair should look something like this D0O--- rather than DDD--- *if that makes sense*

Try attaching a small knotted bag, size of a 10p-piece of mesh-PVA, with some dried-off corn and small pellets, to the hook.

Different baits for different seasons, all depends where the fish are in the water, the colour of the water and how hungry they are.

Hope that helps..only been fishing myself for 3 yrs

I use hair rigged corn on the method in the summer, I use two the first one also through the side and the second (closest to the stopper) through the middle as to keep it flying off the hook as R.Habbershaw said I find it produces far more than a 'stack of corn' ask your self would the loose fed corn behave like this, no, well dont hook it like that!! im very much a fair weather angler (due to being at uni in winter months) a general rule i use is sweeter baits in spring and more aminos in the summer, however it depends on the water, my best haul was in mid summer on strawbery pellets!!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

I use hair rigged corn on the method in the summer, I use two the first one also through the side and the second (closest to the stopper) through the middle as to keep it flying off the hook as R.Habbershaw said I find it produces far more than a 'stack of corn' ask your self would the loose fed corn behave like this, no, well dont hook it like that!! im very much a fair weather angler (due to being at uni in winter months) a general rule i use is sweeter baits in spring and more aminos in the summer, however it depends on the water, my best haul was in mid summer on strawbery pellets!!!

If your using the method you could also try swapping one of the corn for an imitation piece. Bury the hook bait in the method, when it disintegrates the hook bait will float enticingly for the fish.

Definately agree with the amino in Summer and they seem to go mad for strawberry or tutti-frutti glug too, I add it into my water mix for the method.

I've often hair rigged single grains to a size 10 for Barbel, that may seem unnecessary to some but it definitely got more pick ups than one on the hook. They do get wary of bunches of corn.

Another way I've found good for sight fishing is with two grains of corn with a maple pea in between them, much easier for me to watch than a single grain, and it looks like two separate grains.

Not sure about your problem with bread, it's one of the best winter baits as far as I'm concerned.