loch awe

captainflash

Aw Right Chaps,

My friends and I are complete novices to fly fishing, so novice we have not got any fly fishing gear yet(but there is still plenty time to syphon off from the housekeeping kitty). We are planning a day or 2 at Loch Awe in probably July or August, we have been coarse fishing there but not fly. what would be recommended gear to use, would it be dry fly or nymph, what weight of line, and what rod & reel would be suitable.

Cheers

Captainflash.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving this over to the fly-fishing forum, you'll get a better response there I think.

And welcome to the site captainflash :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hi

A ten foot plus rod coupled with a 6 or 7 weight line, either DT or WF should see you OK. The type of reel doesn't matter, it's only for storing the line anyway. Usually on Awe, wet fly is the norm, though nymphs and dries will sometimes have their day (or night), as will lures for the escapee rainbow trout.

I wouldn't class July and August as the best months, but early morning and evening should be productive, and the dry daddy-long-legs would be in my fly box.

And good luck with the midges....... :)

Cheers

Ian.

Edited by IanR

Hi

A ten foot plus rod coupled with a 6 or 7 weight line, either DT or WF should see you OK. The type of reel doesn't matter, it's only for storing the line anyway. Usually on Awe, wet fly is the norm, though nymphs and dries will sometimes have their day (or night), as will lures for the escapee rainbow trout.

I wouldn't class July and August as the best months, but early morning and evening should be productive, and the dry daddy-long-legs would be in my fly box.

And good luck with the midges....... :)

Cheers

Ian.

Cheers bro. :thumbs:

Cheers bro. :thumbs:

My lasting memory of loch awe were the midges...............serious bighters, so I'd recommend not only cream protection, but a full on midge hat/mask, and don't forget your hands, a pair of "deisel" gloves from the petrol station keep the midges out and allow you to fish in reasonable comfort in the warm weather.

there are some big ferox trout in there, so best of luck.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

surely at that time of the year your going to check out the local midge population and then try to fish

get yourself a load of AVON skin so soft the blue bottle ,

its better than most insect repellents so good that the army use it when on exercise up in this area

. this reply is not a joke i have known people going out for half an hour and coming back arms all covered in blood from the midgies

don't ware dark clothing it makes you a target for them .

good luck mate

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

If the midges are bad you are better off in a boat. If you fish under the trees out of the wind you might never be seen again.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The only problem with skin so soft (i use pink original and it's great) is that it washes off where your hands get wet, and then the little blighters go mental.

I don't fish dusk at that time of year for that very reason, though I remember getting my back eaten alive when we had to leave the hotel in the middle of the night when the fire alarm went off.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

One other thing to look out for apart from those maneating midges are the Ticks.

If walking through any long grass or ferns to go fishing then it is well worth while tucking your jeans into your socks and checking at night for the little buggers.

Only look like a pinhead at first but when full look more like a small Sloe.

Hire a boat from Loch Awe boats and try the edges of the loch.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning