loch awe

captainflash

The only other problem with Awe is the Buckfast brigade, with their multiple hook beachcaster rigs; take all we catch (irrespecttive of size), and leave all our crap. Permit? What permit?

There is a Protection Order in place, but enforcing it is a different matter with these idiots.

However, if you stay away from Loch Awe Village and the Pass (Brander), you should be alright. Head towards the bays and islands towards Ford. Or get a boat.

Cheers

Ian.

Edited because my keyboard can't spell.

Edited by IanR

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont often come over here but saw the thread.Done a lot of Ferrox and piking on the loch but also had a dabble with the fly rod as well. Only time of year I have fished though is in the Spring.Its certainly more midge friendly than the Summer sounds to be!

I used to fly fish traditional locch style with a team of three wets on a floating line,Bibbio's,Black Ke-He's Silver March Browns were an effective combination of flies.I always struggled to catch much more than half a dozen a day though......untill I read (on the net) of a guy who would always catch double this quite easily.The simple difference was that being used to fly fishing down south I hadnt taken in to acount that it would be later in the year that such a water as Awe would have really warmed up enough for floating line tactics.The guy reccomended using the same tactics but with a sinking line.Next spring I tried this and my catchs improved imensely.

As allready mentioned fishing close to the bank is best.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Little tip for the midgies

Before you go take a course of anti hystamine tablets for about a week before you go and that way you have some form of immunity in your system before you get there and when you will get badly bitten the resultant sores and bites are not as bad as they can be

Everyone has their own favourites but mine is Jungle Formula in the pump action spray which is DEET based and applied liberally to the face neck and back of hands

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi!

Im going up to Loch Awe in the summer for a week and was wondering what my chances of cathching were?

Will be fly fishing, spinning and bait fishing.

thanks! :)

Hi, I have a free booklet on my web site with details about fishing methods and also there are two map pages which show the best fishing marks. It's all here on this page

http://fishinginuk.co.uk/pages/book_loch_awe1.htm hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt bother with Loch Awe for wild brownies unless you target the Ferox and catching them usually means trolling large baits and lures. Loch Awe was once one of Scotlands Premier Wild Brown Trout Lochs now almost ruined by the constant escape of Rainbow Trout from fish farming cages on the Loch. It is a pity as the Mayfly hatch on Loch Awe was something special the biggest Mayfly i have ever come across and in huge numbers. The Pike fishing can be unreal on some parts of the Loch best early morning and before dark.

Save Loch Awe B)