AVG Updating..

Norrie

Hi Chris, Hope you are well mate,..long time no speak..:)

I did think that as well, but when I checked the files it says they came from, they were suss.....one came from a WinRAR download, another came from a WINAVI download....AVG should have picked them up but didnt, and those files were downloaded some time ago, in fact, since the download, my PC was wayyyy slower than normal...so, after Avast found them, and dealt with them, its back to its good old self now...so, I assume that Avast was telling the truth..:)

I'm going to give Avast a while, see how it goes, then, if I'm not impressed, will have a look at NOD32. So far its looking good tho', It updated itself this morning, and I nearly fell off the chair, when the pc TOLD me it had updated itself....... :blink:

My AVG updates itself within seconds of me connecting to the internet. Are you sure you've allowed it permission to update in your firewall?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Peter, mine was working ok, and as you say, updating as the PC was firing up, till a couple of days ago, then all this started..:(

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi Peter, mine was working ok, and as you say, updating as the PC was firing up, till a couple of days ago, then all this started..:(

I'm wondering if the Windows security system could be the problem. With AVG and Zone Alarm installed, I make sure that Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are both turned off. I don't know how it happens, but these settings do seem to get altered from time to time.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I don't know about that Peter but this is EXACTLY what stopped me using AVG. The problem was a duff download from AVG which obviously only people logged on at the time the uploaded it to the servers had problems with? I waited for at LEAST 6 days for a solution from AVG and despite having paid for it I got NO JOY!! So I changed and since have been VERY happy.

WELL till I tried to; add a PC to the wireless setup I have!!! Bloody windows!! It tells me to stick my flash drive into the wireless router, but doesn't add what to do if I have no socket to insert the bloody thing!!!

Sorry off topic I know!!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• 4 weeks later...

Peggy and I have both have exactly the same problem with AVG. We've done both a repair and a re-install but we still can't even update manually.

Doing a little research on the tech sites, it's been suggested that the update server can't cope. Whatever the reason it's unacceptable.

We both use Windows XP and Outlook Express (OE 6 in my case and OE7 in Peggy's).

I'm thinking of switching to Zone Alarm's full security suite (we already have the Zone Alarm firewall).

Has anyone used this?

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I used to use it Steve and then changed to as I say AVG a while back and now on NOD 32 for anti virus and Kerio for the firewall as I reckon to have two different models doing the job is better than just the one from the same camp. No data to suggest this is better OR worse but just feel happy in myself and touch wood have so far been ok. But then again i feel I get less intrusions in France anyway?? Again nothing to support this theory, but just a gut reaction.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Hiya,

Just an update, I'm still running Avast, with no probolems at all, its doing its job great, and updates itself regularly...:)

Theocritis..

Cheers, guys.

We've managed to update manually after several tries. But having to do so rather defeats the object!

Unless AVG quickly sort this out we'll be moving elsewhere.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chaps, Just bought a new ..ish PC with Macafee installed, any thoughts on it, I think I'm going to uninstall it, and install Avast...as i',m really pleased with it so far..:):)

Theocritis..

Cheers, guys.

We've managed to update manually after several tries. But having to do so rather defeats the object!

Unless AVG quickly sort this out we'll be moving elsewhere.

I thought I perhaps ought to mention that my AVG is still updating itself perfectly, as it always has done. I never use the Windows firewall though, relying solely on Zone Alarm.