FreeStanding ponds ?

Mat Hillman

Anyone have any experience with freestanding ponds?

I'd love a pond, but live in a rented house, so major earthworks in the garden are not really possible . . .

I'm considering something like this

http://www.gardensite.co.uk/Aquatics/Intalogs_400_Gallon_Pool.htm

Wondered if anyone out there had any experience of them or similar products?

Mat

Mat

What is the frost line in your part of England?

I didn't look at the dimensions - it is quite small and shallow, really. Should be OK in a sheltered position with a dwarf lily or two and a few little goldfish. You could have it in a small London courtyard or something like that without any problems. In an exposed position, in the North of the UK, that's going to get pretty cold. Could line it with polystyrene before putting the liner in, I suppose. It's small enough that if you insulated it well and covered it up, you could probably even heat it to 4C-5C fairly economically.

Mat,

What is the frost line in your part of England?

Phone

Dunno, but average temps as Steve has posted are generally above 0 all year round, was a little concerned that a cold snap might freeze it solid as all the water is above ground though!

Mat

Mat

Location is important, with a free-standing pool wind chill can lead to fluctuating temperatures, so it needs to be sheltered. If you can get bubble wrap or greenhouse fleece (or whatever) contained in a false liner between the wood and the main liner that will help, but the right microhabitat will make this un-necessary in anything other than the most extreme conditions. I've done really well with large wooden half barrels, although I tend to put exotics in them and bring them in or give them away for Winter. The larger you can go, the more stable the water temperature and chemical parameters.

Any alternative if you're any good with wood is to get a large water storage tank such as might be used in agriculture and then clad it, probably significantly cheaper as well. I had one liberated from a garden centre that had been used for displaying aquatic plants.

• Like 1