The start of my yakking year...

Mark Crame

Three days into the new year and I finally managed to get out this morning. The whistling of the 30mph winds had kept me awake for much of the night and I wasn’t feeling at my physical peak (!) but as a husband I know better than to postpone an agreed yakking permission so after dropping my youngest off at nursery I got kitted up in thermals and drysuit, loaded the kayak onto the roof bars, grabbed my tiddler rods and finder and set course for Oulton Broad fearing the worst.

It was worse than tournament weather! For the broad to have a 1ft swell meant that the wind was going to be a handful and as I was intending to have another blast with my Pacific Action sail I felt it wise to stow the rods in the rod pod until I got around to fishing. Car parked and kitted up I fitted the sail and let the wind take me off the slipway and onto the broad itself. It did that without the sail.

Unfurling it and with the rudder deployed I took off. From an almost standing start I was moving across the water pretty sharpish. The picture will give you some clue as to the speed I was going

Rudder14.jpg

I was somewhat surprised as I figured the wind being so strong should have been taking me quicker but I carried on out towards the middle of the broad.

BLOODY HELL! I came out of the shelter from the tree-lined bank and rocketed off! Sadly the GPS wasn’t connected up properly so I couldn’t get a speed reading but comparing it to last week’s sailing I’d estimate I was attaining 8mph+ and when I got hit by gusts I began to feel a little nervous – no texting today, I needed to give full attention. I crossed the broad both directions and then turned downwind again and fairly flew down the length of the broad towards the dyke entrance. Three pikers in a dinghy stood up and watched me pass, apparently gobsmacked! I didn’t even have time to enquire if they’d caught yet I was going so quickly.

What a blast. Once into the dyke proper I furled the sail and dropped the anchor down, plenty of fish were showing mid-water, around 3ft off the bottom but floatfishing was out – the float would be under all the time with anything less than a pike bung and I wasn’t after pike for once. I was on dual beam and most returns were coming on the 83 kHz window.

P1032521.jpg

So it was on with a swimfeeder and lines went down.

P1032522.jpg

Failing to get any bites I moved further down for a bit and then entered an inlet. Still nothing. I decided to paddle back the mile or so to my launch point and try in the boatyard. I wish I’d planned my morning better as the effort against swell and wind had me soaked inside the drysuit as I inched forward into the teeth of it. Not a great deal of fun. Especially as it was 3 degrees not counting wind-chill on face and hands (had my ushanka on to keep my ears and head warm, top kit) and the odd snowflake was landing on me. Still, I made it down again after 20 minutes or so and tried the boatyards.

I passed what would have made a good Christmas dinner on the way too:

P1032523.jpg

Still nothing, I went back to the launch point, fetched the car and headed for the river I fished on Saturday at Beccles.

Having 2 hours of fishing time left now I used a different launch point to my usual one and am pleased I found it – a slipway and a 400m paddle to my mark in more sheltered conditions was a welcome change.

P1032524.jpg

The local fauna was around in abundance too

P1032525.jpg

Tied off to a cruiser I stuck some groundbait down and blanked steadily for an hour, getting the occasional visit from my bird:

P1032526.jpg

before trying another spot

P1032527.jpg

It must have been twenty minutes before the first bite. And I missed it. In fact, I missed 6 bites in all out of 7 – mostly shy bites but I had my swimfeeder snag and get pulled down onto the hook and bump one fish off. However, I didn’t blank as the one bite I DID manage to connect to saw me charged and rammed by this feisty little chap:

P1032528.jpg

I played it a little and then swung it onboard. Around 1/2lb in weight and a solid, chunky fish this was the first Chub I have ever had out of the Waveney and only my second of the species ever. I must confess to being surprised! It was a lovely looking fish though and after the obligatory snap

P1032530.jpg

I put it back to swim away and carried on fishing for another half hour before packing up and heading home out of time and out of bait. Not the most productive start to my year’s yakking but a memorable one for sure; warp-speed under sail and a decent chub for the species list.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Hi Mark,

I'm interested to see how the Trident (I think I read rod pod...) did sitting as high in the water as I think it does.... How did it weathercock? Was it blown all over the place?

I've got a p13 on its way. Can't wait!

Nice read by BTW!

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Hi Jeff. There is a lot of supposition on the height/buoyancy of the Trident and it's generally inaccurate. It does weathercock faster than the Prowler 15, I know as I tested them against each other, about (from memory) 20% quicker. It also tends to veer off-course in crosswinds. BUT, although you are seated higher (and drier) there is no loss in stability compared to, again, the Prowler 15 and others. It doesn't get blown about either, certainly no more noticeably than the P15. However, the extra buoyancy does mean that it paddles like a dog in moderate seas if an empty boat. It was designed purely for yakfishing (in the States) and is thus designed with the extra buoyancy to compensate for large coolboxes/crates etc as well as the larger paddler. You need to see the Trident Review I did for a full break down of stuff like that. One tip though if getting a trident (not neccesary for the P13) is to get a rudder. It's not a neccessity but such a joy - life is easier and more pleasant by far and you'll use less energy on the water.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Hi Mark,

I did read your review. Nice and very very detailed. I thought you may have had more wind/current to deal with in this instance and thus more to add. Your review is what helped me decide against the Trident. I'll be usng the P13 on the canals and my local slow running river, so no need for anything like the size of the Trident.

Its also nice to see someone that finds a nice balance between family obligations and fishing. I have two boys that are 19 months so I'll have to let you know how I fair in the grand scheme. I really have enjoyed your posts. Keep them coming!

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Just finished reading all your reports Mark. Very impressive, good effort.

Twins Jeff? You wont be doing much fishing. I know, I've got 2 girls. Mine are now 9, hang in there mate it does get easier.

Rich

Cobra Tourer

OK Scupper Pro

Dorset

Just finished reading all your reports Mark. Very impressive, good effort.

Twins Jeff? You wont be doing much fishing. I know, I've got 2 girls. Mine are now 9, hang in there mate it does get easier.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yeah I know what you mean. I've been out 3 times in the past 24 months and each time I was asked to take someone out. Mind you everyone that I have taken has caught though! There is something to be said about going 'alone' :P

Girls though! Just give them another 3 years. My daughter turns 13 next month :rolleyes: I feel for you! Seriously - I can't wait to take the little fiends out and show them how much fun it is to catch- my daughter enjoys it. She was fishing before she could walk.

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Oh no - DO NOT tell me it gets worse. I thought the hard work was over. Now I'm not feeling quite as smug.

Nice pics Mark. That is a good option but the F.P.O. would probably not allow it on the grounds that I would still be enjoying myself.

Cobra Tourer

OK Scupper Pro

Dorset

Oh no - DO NOT tell me it gets worse. I thought the hard work was over. Now I'm not feeling quite as smug.

Nice pics Mark. That is a good option but the F.P.O. would probably not allow it on the grounds that I would still be enjoying myself.

It doesn't get worse. It's being outnumbered! :lol:

Not sure what FPO means. I'll assume the worst. My other better half would look at one that I bought her and ask which of my friends I bought it for :huh: But then she doesn't see it as fun... You know sitting outside cold, freezing, bored to tears and smelling of fish.. (thats what I tell her anyway)

When I dropped the hint for lunch in Glasgow as I was driving there to save money, (the prowlers are cheaper at Glasgow angling) she turned me down, which gave me the go ahead to get one. :) So I should have ordered it two weeks ago and I would be sitting in it now versus waiting for the canoe expo to be over in Coventry so I can take delivery tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Mark- I ran across a fish report from a trip you had to the coast last October on the LaJolla website. Sounded exciting!

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...