fishing worm for game fish

mike1234

They've just stopped the stocking of smolts on the tyne, which did work very well.

We had a better than average year this year, no salmon can be taken until the 16th June, though for the rest of the season we don't excercise catch and release by rule, a lot of the anglers do adhere to it.

The numbers are so high, thankfully, (due to the fish rearing program which used to work on the tyne, that the numbers of fish running the tyne every year, are in the 10s of thousands) that even with the fish that are taken, many many more are able to spawn.

I was priveged to watch about a hundred spawning a couple of years ago.

The main problem we have are the loss of suitable redds due to the high spates taking the gravel away. If that continues the introduction of smolts may have to start again.

If you do try the maggot do ensure that you get them down to the bottom of the water, if you are travelling light and want to feed maggots, roll them into a ball of river mud and throow that in. That will sink and as the maggots work their way out gradually it can get the fish searching for them.

Baits are banned on some of our waters so this year I will be trying artifcial prawns and worms if the conditions are right.

I usually use small cooked praws which are died red or purple, i've never used raw ones, though I rig the cooked ones via a pin to hold them straight, so as to resemble a live prawn.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've just stopped the stocking of smolts on the tyne, which did work very well.

We had a better than average year this year, no salmon can be taken until the 16th June, though for the rest of the season we don't excercise catch and release by rule, a lot of the anglers do adhere to it.

The numbers are so high, thankfully, (due to the fish rearing program which used to work on the tyne, that the numbers of fish running the tyne every year, are in the 10s of thousands) that even with the fish that are taken, many many more are able to spawn.

I was priveged to watch about a hundred spawning a couple of years ago.

The main problem we have are the loss of suitable redds due to the high spates taking the gravel away. If that continues the introduction of smolts may have to start again.

If you do try the maggot do ensure that you get them down to the bottom of the water, if you are travelling light and want to feed maggots, roll them into a ball of river mud and throow that in. That will sink and as the maggots work their way out gradually it can get the fish searching for them.

Baits are banned on some of our waters so this year I will be trying artifcial prawns and worms if the conditions are right.

I usually use small cooked praws which are died red or purple, i've never used raw ones, though I rig the cooked ones via a pin to hold them straight, so as to resemble a live prawn.

"The main problem we have are the loss of suitable redds due to the high spates taking the gravel away. If that continues the introduction of smolts may have to start again."

Wouldn't a better solution be to replace the gravel in the redds? That's what my club have done under such circumstances...more permanent a solution than re-stocking.

Since last talking to you, I've actually found a firm that will mail maggot for about six quid a liter, so I'll definitely give that a shot later in the season. I'm a keen coarse fisher too, so that's a double joy! We have some wonderful tench lakes on the club card, which I've yet to try on maggot.

Apropos artificial baits, I don't know if you've tried "Gulp Nightcrawlers" but if you haven't...give them a try...they're so successful that our neighbour country, Norway, have banned them on their major salmon / seatrout waters! I understand that they also make several prawn artificials too.

I've also had a word with my local fishmonger, who tells me he can get hold of raw prawn, so I shall try dying some of them red too, and give 'em a whirl.

Cheers...Moggy

A swimfeeder full of maggots has delivered a numbr of good salmon in the past.

I think you will find this is classed as ground-baiting, which is an illegal method for trout and salmon in most waters.

I fished upstream worm many years back, it was always a killing method on a pennell rig, but care was needed not to deep hook the fish.

As for salmon, I've already had my first one this year.....opening day of the trout season on Lough Corrib, they really are a nuisance :P

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

I think you will find this is classed as ground-baiting, which is an illegal method for trout and salmon in most waters.

I fished upstream worm many years back, it was always a killing method on a pennell rig, but care was needed not to deep hook the fish.

As for salmon, I've already had my first one this year.....opening day of the trout season on Lough Corrib, they really are a nuisance :P

Not in Denmark Greg! Season stretches from Jan. 16 - Oct. 31, and all forms og (Legal) angling are allowed...worm, spinner, fly, maggot, prawn, whatever. Very civilised!

Yes Phil...with you all the way. I tie all my own apart from swaps I occasionally make, and even though I know I'll (On average) catch less than if I was worming, there is a certain satisfaction gained from landing a fish on your own creation, as you say. And there's nothing quite like having an angry couple of kilos of sea trout on a #5-6 to get the adrenaline flowing!

Do you fish cooked prawn? I've tried uncooked with good results when I lived in Norway, but they're not so easy to get hold of here in Denmark. Maggot is something I rarely use these days...again...difficult to source, though I do breed a few in the summer months...but I've never really given them a good go. I'll try that this summer.

We're dead lucky this year...we've had more salmon and trout returning than ever before. But that's been down to rigourous catch and release policy over the last 5 years, and the release of about 125.000 smolt every year.

Moggy

When I was 10 my dad taught me to swim a worm on fast flowing rivers like the Glaslyn and swale - when I was 13 he taught me to fly fish - now I doo both depending on the rivers condition and clarity - remain flexible - I have written many articles about taking a flexible rather than rightious approach. For a river 4 lb line - 14 hook - two bb 10 to 12 inches form the hook- heavy enough for the bait to sink near the bottom and light enough for the flw to pull the line off - rod tip up and stop the line every 3 or 4 feet and alow the bait to rise for a second- bang ! all it takes is practice and thought. regards flyboy 5 :D

that's an appalling tees fly boy, where are these articles then, i'm always keen to read knew writers, particularly those who've fished waters that I've seen but never yet had a chance to fish the upper reaches of, particularly the swale which is quite close to me.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

that's an appalling tees fly boy, where are these articles then, i'm always keen to read knew writers, particularly those who've fished waters that I've seen but never yet had a chance to fish the upper reaches of, particularly the swale which is quite close to me.

How about Country sport, Trout Fisherman,Severn trent angling guide, angling times , angling mail - shall I go on? ask John Wilshaw if he knows my work - I started writing in the 80's. So I've fished the Glaslyn, the Swale, the Dee at Corwen, the Ettrick water, the Teme, the Onny, the Lugg, the Artro the Seiont, the upper Severn, the Frome, Usk the Taff, the Dovey etxc - I'm 56 and i've been fishing for 48 years - I think I might now have an idea as how one can catch fish. :)

Another acomplished writer then, what I was wanting to know was the name you write under?

We have a number of excellent writer who post regularly, you may remember Dennis Darkin from from AT days, though working out his current "online" name could keep you guessing for a while.

Tight lines and I look forward to finding out who you are?

regards

phil

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Another acomplished writer then, what I was wanting to know was the name you write under?

We have a number of excellent writer who post regularly, you may remember Dennis Darkin from from AT days, though working out his current "online" name could keep you guessing for a while.

Tight lines and I look forward to finding out who you are?

regards

phil

I have not written anything for some time but I wrote under my own name Chris Goldsmith - I did quite a number of articles for Crawford little when he was editor of Country Sport