Barbus Barbus

the golden one

Have you caught barbel before and just want to get a bigger one or are you still after your first?

I have caught a couple of tiny barbel but would like to catch a much bigger one. The location is my main problem as my pb's are as follows: Carp: 43lb(uk) , tench 8lb bass 12.5lb, smoothhound 15lb, tope 47lb, skate 17lb. I was just wondering if any AN buddies had any info. Have been concentrating on sea fishing for the last few years.

Don't think there's many barbel in Essex. A few DT waters that spring to mind are Taverham on the Wensum, Aldermaston Mill on the Kennet, Royalty on the Avon, Throop on the Dorset Stour - all 4 are famous barbel venues...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Hi all...I have set myself a target this year to catch a nice Barbel. I live in Essex and I am after a decent day ticket stretch to fish. Travelling is not a problem. Any ideas anybody!! Thanks

As Chris says Essex is not really known for its Barbel rivers. Whereabouts in Essex do you live?

If you live near the west side of Essex then you could try Kings weir on the River Lea (in Hertfordshire) as I think you can still get day tickets there, but they have to be booked in advance; however I dont think its as good since the new type of weir was built to replace the old one a few years ago; or Dobbs weir; or Carthegena Weir which both hold good barbel (especially the latter) on Day ticket.

But you may be better off joining a club like Vauxhall AC or Verulum AC or Milton Keynes AC which all have exceptional stretches of the upper Great Ouse in Bedfordshire with double figure Barbel caught fairly regularly.

Milton Keynes AC has some really superb stretches which has had record Barbel caught (up to 21lb 1oz).

Our club (Verulum AC) has had Barbel up to 19lbs caught on our stretches last year, with the average weight between 7 and 9 lbs; with Vauxhall AC fishing the opposite bank on some stretches..

Verulum AC also have a couple of stretches of the upper Lea in wheathamsted Hertfordshire where the Barbel are a lot smaller (2lb - 7lb), but the Barbel grow larger further downstream from Hertford with some stretches fishable on day tickets. I think that all three clubs also have stretches of the river Ivel which also holds some good fish.

If you can travel further afield then the fisheries mentioned by Chris are really superb barbel fisheries plus you can get day tickets for them.

One things for sure; you have made the right decision to fish for Barbel as I think they are normally the best fighters (pound for pound) in our rivers, and they fight until they are exhausted, (so need extra care when you return them) which is one of the reasons why its the favourite fish of people like Yates.

Good luck and tight lines.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

You wont find too many barbel in Dobbs Weir but Kings Weir and Fishers Green are well worth a try. The Lea above Hertford holds barbel but most stretches are tightly held there is a day ticket stretch at Stanborough Lake where I have had a few mostly as it is getting dark. Verulum AC have a great stretch in the Wheathamstead area but you will need to join.

Further afield the Thames holds lots of barbel but it is a big river and location is everything, I have had a few from the Laleham area. The BFW site is a great site for some ideas but the members do not give away a lot on where to fish.

As Chris says Essex is not really known for its Barbel rivers. Whereabouts in Essex do you live?

If you live near the west side of Essex then you could try Kings weir on the River Lea (in Hertfordshire) as I think you can still get day tickets there, but they have to be booked in advance; however I dont think its as good since the new type of weir was built to replace the old one a few years ago; or Dobbs weir; or Carthegena Weir which both hold good barbel (especially the latter) on Day ticket.

Do you know if the London Anglers Association stretches on the River Lea are very good for Barbel? And is this http://www.londonanglers.net/WATERS/KINGS%20WEIR.html the kings weir you are referring to? I'm in Suffolk and I've set myself the goal of catching my first Barbel this year which is going to mean travelling. As I'm an LAA member I'll probably give those a go first and was wondering if there is a good chance of catching one. If not I'll try elsewhere. I don't care about what size they are, I'd be as happy with a 1lber as an 11lber.

Do you know if the London Anglers Association stretches on the River Lea are very good for Barbel? And is this http://www.londonanglers.net/WATERS/KINGS%20WEIR.html the kings weir you are referring to?

I'm in Suffolk and I've set myself the goal of catching my first Barbel this year which is going to mean travelling.

I would expect the King's Weir referred to is the stretch immediately upstream of the LAA section, I've not fished there for over 20 years now but the bottom pegs were among my favourites, any fish caught from there would have been coming from the the LAA section, the opposite bank (to the LAA) is Fishers Green which is as well known for barbel as Kings Weir.

There have been several stockings of Barbel into the Suffolk Stour over the past few years, it could be worth a go.

Have a look >>>>Colchester APS