Fish Baits for Perch

Martin Salisbury

I've really got a bee in my bonnet about getting a big perch at the moment. I have a commercial very close to home that I know must hold a big perch or two. In summer i've seen fry being attacked and there have been a couple(not many) of reports of big perch being caught although nobody really targets them.

I've read Steve Burkes excellent articles and some previous posts on here.

I'm using prawns and lobs as baits at the moment but I'm positive that the big perch are taking fish as their natural food source. I can't use livebaits and have read that fresh deads are the next best thing (but my fresh deads would could from the water I am fishing that doesn't allow livebaits so I can't really catch and kill from there either).

If I'm to use fish baits what is my best alternative after livebaits and fresh deadbaits and if appropraite were can I source your recommendations from?

Thanks in advance,

martin

Regards,

Martin

I've really got a bee in my bonnet about getting a big perch at the moment. I have a commercial very close to home that I know must hold a big perch or two. In summer i've seen fry being attacked and there have been a couple(not many) of reports of big perch being caught although nobody really targets them.

I've read Steve Burkes excellent articles and some previous posts on here.

I'm using prawns and lobs as baits at the moment but I'm positive that the big perch are taking fish as their natural food source. I can't use livebaits and have read that fresh deads are the next best thing (but my fresh deads would could from the water I am fishing that doesn't allow livebaits so I can't really catch and kill from there either).

If I'm to use fish baits what is my best alternative after livebaits and fresh deadbaits and if appropraite were can I source your recommendations from?

Thanks in advance,

martin

Do perch go for dead baits?I'm not so sure as I have only fished for them with lob worms and maggots.I have heard of people fishing for them with live minnows.some of the asian super markets sell small frozen fish that look similar to minnows,I suppose you could try wobbling one of them.Have you tried a spinner or a small plug,some of them look like minnows. Edited by dapper64

I should have added that the water is heavily coloured and therefore lures probably not the best. I know I could try lures that rattle n vibrate but most of what I have read and experience says that it may not be really effective in such coloured water.

It's also well stocked I'd be worried about foulhooking!

Noodle I'm curious....see you soon

Regards

Regards,

Martin

They do like deadbaits. I remember getting very frustrated with a pike stealing my livebaits when I was trying to get a big perch on a local water. I reeled in the livebait and it had been shredded and killed by the pike so I took it off the hook and threw it in the water. As I sat there trying to put another livebait on I watched a perch of about a pound swim up to the surface and gulp down the floating deadbait!

It was like watching carp feeding off the surface in the summer.

I still didnt catch one though, but when I was using a single maggot on a size 18 hook to catch my livebaits I caught my biggest perch yet of just over a pound!

If you haven't already, watch this:

Part 1

Youtube Video ->Original Video

Part 2

Part 3

I've never targetted perch with fish baits so I can't help, but it's obviously very effective on the right waters.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Just watched part 1 which was very interesting. It's that emphasis on fresh deadbaits again that brings me back to that initial question. Maybe I should have asked whether frozen roach from pike packs are worth using or are they a waste of time? Hopefully, Steve might be looking in soon and can expertly answer saving me plenty of rod hours in the process!

Anyway irrespective of that I'll be trying for a few more hours again this evening.

Regards,

Martin

I know Steve has had a lot of sucsess on deads.

One interesting thing that kind of defies logic/general understanding of how preds feed is that on one heavily coloured commercial I targetted for big perch the deadbait was next to useless.Lives being the best (strangely enough) with Lobs second.

It wil be best to wait for Steve to reply but I think Im right in saying that like me he has had no luck with sea deads.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

he has had no luck with sea deads.

I think he has caught some nice carp on sea deads unless my memory is failing me.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President