Bill Oddie

snotty

I have until now enjoyed the diminutive twitchers progs on the telly, his irreverent treatment is sometimes irritating but never so trite as tonights serving which touched on cormorants.

According to the learned Mr.Oddie, cormorants dont deserve their dark harbinger of doom reputation, and are actually rather nice. The somewhat annoying habit of eating fish stocked in lakes for anglers to catch and chuck back (his words) is somewhat overplayed. He reckons the anglers sit for hours and having caught nothing then see the cormorants catching what they could not, and are in fact, jealous.

This ridiculous nonsense could be taken for light hearted jokery, were it not for the fact that it was preceded by a straw poll of the public who seem in the main to be blissfully unaware of what a cormorant actually is.

Shame on you Oddie for abusing your prime time terrestrial TV slot to make light of a serious problem affecting our inland waters, if only there was primetime opportunity for a balanced reply, but of course the BBC dont have angling progs anymore do they...

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

He doesn't have a clue about fish and fishing and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it! I've heard a few little quips from him over the years.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Hmmm - makes public pronouncements on topics he knows little or nothing about.

I think he may be a member of AnglersNet using an ID rather than his name.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have always had a lot of respect for him but he was on Saturday Kitchen the other week and was so rude :angry: He wouldn't try the food that was put in front of him, kept making rude remarks and really went down in my estimations. I think he is getting a bit above himself and what he says is right, well he thinks it is!!

It has put me off watching his programme which is a shame as Liam & I have aways watched them. :(

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Hmmm - makes public pronouncements on topics he knows little or nothing about.

I think he may be a member of AnglersNet using an ID rather than his name.

Hmmm you have a striking resemblence you and he !

It's Gibbon time !! :lol:

That's part of his hit record so don't spit your dummy out Newt .

Edited by tigger

Hmmm you have a striking resemblence you and he !

Nope, I am large, bearded, furrin, and not on TV. He is none of those.

LOL - tigger, you will notice that I specified someone who used an ID rather than their name. {Hmmm, tigger, hmmmm}. Actually no, I really didn't mean you since you usually have a clue what you are talking about.

For the information of any who thought I was using a small aquatic lizzard as my ID, Newt actually happens to be my name.

And FWIW, the last time I spit my pacifier out the dog ate it so I am dummyless these days and trying hard to deal with the loss.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Bill Oddie seems to have become more and more eccentric over the years.You really notice this (as a couple have all ready noted) when he apears on tv on programmes away from his normal genre.

I think that most of these bird watching personalities put angling in a bad light to the general public.Maybe this is an undeserved throwback to the swan/lead shot thing? or just a reflection that they still see their birds caught up in discarded/lost tackle?

Ive often said that I feel the twitchers and their RSPB represent a threat to angling far in excess to any the "anti's" present. They have both money,the "green vote" and a host of celebrity members.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Nope, I am large, bearded, furrin, and not on TV. He is none of those.

LOL - tigger, you will notice that I specified someone who used an ID rather than their name. {Hmmm, tigger, hmmmm}. Actually no, I really didn't mean you since you usually have a clue what you are talking about.

For the information of any who thought I was using a small aquatic lizzard as my ID, Newt actually happens to be my name.

And FWIW, the last time I spit my pacifier out the dog ate it so I am dummyless these days and trying hard to deal with the loss.

I'm only messin Newt, it's just you and him wear a peaked cap and glasses, have a beard and are the other side of 50yrs.

Just kiddin ya m8 ;)

perhaps Mr Oddie should think if it wasnt for anglers there would be less man made lakes and ponds for cormorants and king fishers and other feathered things he likes to peep at with binoculars,

i only really took notice of him when he was the voice of the crow in banana man anyway

Edited by mike1234