Quiver tip replacement

MikeT

I clumsily broke the 2oz push-in quiver tip of my Normark Quiver rod. Any ideas where I can find a high quality replacement?

Many thanks.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Must admit I love normark rods and enjoy using them when I can but as for tip rods I now either buy drennan as you can get tips so easily or for lighter tip rods buy the spliced in versions where you have different top sections.

I have thrown away so many good tip rods having broken the tips and cannot find replacements. I have tried to make some fit by cutting back if thicker or padding out if thinner but what a waste of time as the rod looses its balance and you end up with flatspots in curve.

Going back to your previous post of light gear the modern very light bomb rods around with spliced in tips are fantastic. Drennan do a match 10ft/11ft combo with 3 top sections and I have a fox mark pollard 9ft. They are great fun. Add a couple of daiwa td-r reels and you have the perfect setup.

regards

John

It's funny how Daiwa and Drennan tips are interchangable :g:

The Drennan Tips are good and are better finished off than the Daiwa ones.

I think you'll have to send off to Masterline for your Normark tip replacements, might be as well getting a couple of extra ones incase of future accidents.

I think you'll have to send off to Masterline for your Normark tip replacements, might be as well getting a couple of extra ones incase of future accidents.

Masterline want £33.50 for a single tip. Does this seem a little steep to you guys, given that it's only a glass tip, and you can pick these up for much less, e.g., Here?

Or am I missing something important?

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Hi MikeT

The problem as I was relating to in previous reply is that the tip is more than just a bite indicator and is part of the rod.

The correct tip allows rod to bend evenly throughout length. I have tried to fit universal and other tips with no success at all. I personally would not put a fleabay tip on a top quality rod. Its like putting budget tyres on a porsche 911

John

Mike, Normark will have made a quivertip to blend in with the rod so that there's no flat spot, plus the action and power is what they intend.

A standard off the shelf tip therefore may or not be suitable.

It was the same with the Fledger series of rods I designed. These started by cutting up and combining various blanks to get exactly what I wanted. However when it came to the quivertip tops, standard quivertips weren't quite right. In the end I got quivertips specially made with much faster tapers than usual.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi MikeT

The problem as I was relating to in previous reply is that the tip is more than just a bite indicator and is part of the rod.

The correct tip allows rod to bend evenly throughout length. I have tried to fit universal and other tips with no success at all. I personally would not put a fleabay tip on a top quality rod. Its like putting budget tyres on a porsche 911

John

Sounds like sense to me.

Masterline want £33.50 for a single tip. Does this seem a little steep to you guys, given that it's only a glass tip, and you can pick these up for much less, e.g., Here?

Or am I missing something important?

I too love my Normark rods and my light bomb rod in particular when you think about why Normark rods are so highly regarded the overriding feature seems to be the balance of the rod. With this in mind each component is vitally important to that main feature and when you consider that you, we and i may have spent between £125.00 and £225.00 for the rod the amount charged for a replacement tip is then placed in perspective, yes expensive, but no more than the initial outlay. On my rod the 1.5 and 2 ozs tip are carbon with the 3ozs being glass, i think that's right.

Just for information how was your tip broken?

Made edit for this PS.

I love my Harrison GTI more :D

Edited by Elton

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Thanks for the advice, chaps. Looks like I'd better get myself the Normark replacement tip. It's certainly not carbon though- so I shouldn't have thought it needed to be quite so expensive. Ah well- if you want to drive a Porsche you have to accept the parts cost more!

Just for information how was your tip broken?

It's a curious thing- I was just untangling my centrepin (as usual), and must have had the tip under too much line tension. It snapped ever so easily! I was most surprised to hear the crack, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were actually some fault with it, though I'll never know. I guess the main problem was that the tip was being pulled down at too acute an angle (almost back upon itself) to sustain even a light load. It couldn't possibly have been more than a pound of pressure, exerted over a few inches.

I shall certainly be much more careful with my £33 replacement tip! :rolleyes: