Rod help

The keys are

- what species

- what weight you will be tossing

- how far you need to toss it

Large fish can be pretty easily landed on fairly light rods but they don't stand up to heavy weights being cast to the horizion.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

every thing that newt has said and do you have a price in mind?

STC

[/quote

Sorry should've said before

I only fish for carp but tend to fish waters in France containing large cats and sturgeon too. I need to be able to cast a good distance but want a rod that is ideal for playing the fish closer to the bank. My budget is around £600 but I could be tempted to up this for the right rod.

For that sort of money, you pretty much have the choice of everything. I have had chimera's 12ft - 3 1/4 lb tc which are lovely rods, just didn't suit me personally for some reason. I now have the greys equivalent which I find much nicer. I can't remember the model but they retail about 160 pounds I think.

Best advice is to see if you can have a try with some mates rods first to see what suits you. I'm lucky in that my local shop lets me try before I buy so I can have a quick cast around with them first.

Rob.

Pretty much what rob has said, with that kinda money you have the pick of the market. Greys are great and you get a life time garantee. I use wychwood but then again i only fish 5-6 times a year. (Young family and on a buget)

Try before you buy, ask other anglers what they recommend and read as many reviews as you can.

Shimano are always a good options, if you get overwelled.

Good luck

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

Just had a thought, you could get a pair of rods built to your spec, they would be just as you want them interms of balance, casting ability, colour, and so on.

Not sure how mucha pair of custom built rods would cost but if you are as serious about fishing as it comes across and you have the pennies thats what i would do.

A pair of custom built carp rods just right for little old you, ideal :wub:

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

I had a play with a friend's Ballista Slims the other day... Cracking rods in my opinion, they're built on Harrison blanks, cast very, very well, I didn't catch anything, but he told me they are good fish playing tools too.

I think there 3 oz test curve

Hopefully that was 3 lb T/C since a rod that only needed 3oz to bend to 90º would not be very good for carp.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President