Bigger grayling?

richjones

When i trot a small, shallow local river, i can expect to catch grayling of around the 1lb mark, and occasionally fish of 1 1/2 lb with my pb bring 1lb 11oz.

I am happy catching fish of this size, but i do find that i am not 100% confident in my method when i read the reports on the club website, of fly anglers (which is the method used by approx 50% of the anglers on the river) regularly catching fish 'over 2lb'.

What im wondering is has any known of fly anglers commonly catching bigger grayling than those trotting maggots/worms, on any other rivers?

If not then i will assume the problem is either my method, or the '2lbers' were never weighed and are purely over estimates.

any ideas would be great

thanks!

When i trot a small, shallow local river, i can expect to catch grayling of around the 1lb mark, and occasionally fish of 1 1/2 lb with my pb bring 1lb 11oz.

I am happy catching fish of this size, but i do find that i am not 100% confident in my method when i read the reports on the club website, of fly anglers (which is the method used by approx 50% of the anglers on the river) regularly catching fish 'over 2lb'.

What im wondering is has any known of fly anglers commonly catching bigger grayling than those trotting maggots/worms, on any other rivers?

If not then i will assume the problem is either my method, or the '2lbers' were never weighed and are purely over estimates.

any ideas would be great

thanks!

Doubt very much that if there are 2lbers in the water that they are just the preserve of fly anglers - over estimates would be my conjecture - a 2lb grayling IS a big fish! Try sweetcorn next time - grayling love it - and it can sometimes pick out the bigger fish.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Doubt very much that if there are 2lbers in the water that they are just the preserve of fly anglers - over estimates would be my conjecture - a 2lb grayling IS a big fish! Try sweetcorn next time - grayling love it - and it can sometimes pick out the bigger fish.

C.

Sounds like the same story at my local fly fishing club where members claim to regularly take 5lb+ chub - yeah right!

Paul