Alien invaders

lutra

There has been one or two threads recently that have got me thinking about the way some coarse species are spreading and if some of them really are a danger. The two species that interest me most are carp and catfish or more to the point, their ability to breed in the UK. In the case of carp i know a lot of waters with them in, but never seem to come across any evidence that they're successful at breeding. Ive heard rumors that they can breed in the UK, so is this a frozen north thing?, are there none or only a few waters they breed successfully in?, or am i just blind?. And the same question for cats really, although i suspect the jury may still be out on them as they're not so wide spread.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read this about 10 times....

Are you seriously asking if carp can breed in UK waters?

:huh:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

There has been one or two threads recently that have got me thinking about the way some coarse species are spreading and if some of them really are a danger. The two species that interest me most are carp and catfish or more to the point, their ability to breed in the UK. In the case of carp i know a lot of waters with them in, but never seem to come across any evidence that they're successful at breeding. Ive heard rumors that they can breed in the UK, so is this a frozen north thing?, are there none or only a few waters they breed successfully in?, or am i just blind?. And the same question for cats really, although i suspect the jury may still be out on them as they're not so wide spread.

It is wierd really as I know of ponds that have contained Carp for 30yrs+ and there are no youngsters. Thing is I knew a chap who kept Koi carp in his pond and they bred no probs. I was thinkin about a passion for angling and how the pond in the estate containing "Harry" and "Fat lady" seemed void of any small Carp or at least it never showed any in the programe.

Elton we know they can breed but why in unstocked waters don't you ever see any youngsters ?

Elton we know they can breed but why in unstocked waters don't you ever see any youngsters ?
Maybe your looking in the wrong places? If wels can breed in the north of France surely they can breed in the south of England?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Maybe your looking in the wrong places? If wels can breed in the north of France surely they can breed in the south of England?

Have you seen any Cory, that havn't been stocked that is ?

Probably because one of the favourite food sources for a big carp is often little carp!

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Have you seen any Cory, that havn't been stocked that is ?
To be honest Tigger, no I haven't, but I've never went out looking for them either.

Probably because one of the favourite food sources for a big carp is often little carp!
Probably a food source for lots of other fish too.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Well you may just have to excuse me for not be a southern carp angler on this one, but like tigger says we seem to have a lot of waters with a few good sized carp in and no small ones. So I'm guessing this is a north south thing and they breed for fun in all your waters.?

Well you may just have to excuse me for not be a southern carp angler on this one, but like tigger says we seem to have a lot of waters with a few good sized carp in and no small ones. So I'm guessing this is a north south thing and they breed for fun in all your waters.?

The dirty sods are at it like rabbits down here :)

My mate runs a Northern carp site - I'll drop him a line.

The dirty sods are at it like rabbits down here :)

Their at it like rabbits up here to, but don't seem to have the little babies.