Alien invaders

lutra

What about things like Orfe, Goldfish,pumpkinseeds, grass carp etc. and any others that haven't been mentioned. They don't seem to be spreading and i dont think i know of any outside of fisheries. Be nice to hear peoples views on introducing them species.
My opinion is that no alien species should be introduced to any eco system unless those who wish to introduce said species can show beyond reasonable doubt that the introduction will be have a beneficial or neutral effect on the environment.

It is illegal in many French fisheries to return pumpkinseed.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about things like Orfe, Goldfish,pumpkinseeds, grass carp etc. and any others that haven't been mentioned. They don't seem to be spreading and i don't think i know of any outside of fisheries. Be nice to hear peoples views on introducing them species.

Orfe (Ide), there are plenty in the R Calder near me, so they do spread.

Goldfish, Grass carp are just carp to me, and and I feel the same way about them. The Goldfish in particular is one of the reasons why true crucians are getting rare. (Just look at the number of "What fish is this? posts on here. Even with a picture it's hard to tell).

I know little of pumpkinseeds so can't comment.

As Cory says unless it can be proven that they will not have a negative effect on the resident species, then I don't agree with introducing them.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yeah unfortunately i think we' could be seeing the end of true Crucians by the end of this century at the rate the goldfish are hybridising. But i think some species would be alright in our eco-systems. But there needs to be some sort of controlled experiment first before anything gets released.

Just reading the info in the Fishbase entry for goldfish should be enough to convince one that it would not be a good idea to introduce them.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Speciessummary.php?id=271

If Andy_1984 is looking in, are there still goldfish on the Forth and Clyde Canal, Andy? In the '70s there were loads, and they got to be quite big because one of the local factories (can't remember which) used to pump warm (but clean) water into the canal.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

AFAIK the odd goldfish turns up in the canal from time to time but they certainly aren't prolific, however, I've recently heard about HUGE shoals of goldfish on the Clyde. If true, I'll have a few for deadbaits....lol

There are plenty of carp in the canal though and they're coming out at all sizes. Another mate of mine reckons they can't survive up here, even if they do breed but I'm just not convinced. I believe many of them die but I just don't believe someone is going to the bother of stocking the Forth and Canal, so they must be breeding to some degree, even if it's by the skin of their pharyngeal teeth.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...