Help - Which Lures do you recomend for small Lakes, Gravel Pits and rivers like the upper Great Ouse?

BoldBear

In the past I have caught lots of Pike on deadbaits, livebaits and even on sink and draw, but not very many at all on spinning baits.

I have a nice 50g spinning rod which Ive used for plugging with the old 'Big S' type plugs and I've got approximately 25 different ones; however; I have never had much luck on them.

I've tried fast and slow retrieves, sink and draw tactics near to snags, high in the water and near the bottom but apart from the odd one; I still seem to have only the occasional pike following the lure without taking it.

Perhaps the plugs/lures that I am using are not the best ones or I am not presenting them properly?.

What do you suggest (other than giving up lure fishing)?

What are the most productive types of lures, and what sizes should I be using for small Lakes, Gravel Pits and rivers like the upper Great Ouse?

NB. I fish part of the upper Great Ouse where some big pike (20 pounders approx) are often seen attacking shoals of silverfish but hardly anyone fishes for them so I would love to have a go after them.

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Spoons and spinners are all I ever use. I don't have much luck with plugs either. Rattle traps work for perch and pike too. Just search Cabelas or Bass Pro. I find the smaller ones up to 2 ounces for better casting.

This color works well for me- very seldom do I not catch on it.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

Good luck

(added) Don't forget your trace!

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Thanks jeff Ill give it a go.

I've also thought about using some of those rubber fish-like lures with paddle tails or soft curley tails to impart a fish like movement but I thought I would ask for advice first.

Thanks again for your advice.

BB

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Hi BB

This lure is an absolute banker:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Great-L...ays-t54465.html

I've never said that about any other lure. In fact, I had two jacks on it today and narrowly missed a better fish! It might be a bit light for your rod and it won't select the bigguns, but it's a great way to get a few fish on the bank and build confidence. I usually fish it as close to the bottom as possible. I often snag up, but pull out (I use heavy braid) and straighten/sharpen the hook as needed. No need to 'work it', unless you want to, but keep the retrieve SLOW. It'll also pick up perch and chub. Zander are also very partial to it :)

EDIT:

post-4157-1203535761_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sipadan

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Forget about types of water as in pond,pit,lake or river and think more about depth of water and clarity. Thoase are the real factors to take into consideration when choosing lures.

If your new to lure fishing though I dony think you will go to wrong with having just a few lures to cover the depth requirement and learn to use/work them properly rather than buying boxfulls (which you will enevitabley end up with!).

As a start though get yourself some simple copper spoons and some rubber/plastics.I say this as spoons (within reason and they arnt to heavy a guage) can be worked effectively at a wide range of depths and plastic shads/dawgs/supa sandras etc dont need to be worked as they have their own "built in" action.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

This is a great time of year and those are great areas to try a carolina rig plastic worm.

Basically, a alipping weight on the mainline heavy enough to allow casting and a plastic worm on a hook - weight at the worm of either nothing or possibly up to 1/8 oz - at the end of a hook length that can vary from 2 feet to 8 feet depending on conditions.

Fish it by casting and letting it settle to the bottom then retrieve with sidearm movents of the rod of 6-8 inches and let the worm settle back to the bottom.

Most strikes will be on the fall and they may be very gentle. At the least abnormal thing (tiny bump, line twitch, anything), try to set the hook using a sweeping sidewise movement of your rod and be ready.

Very effective and you can buy your lures for about 50p or less per worm and can easily carry a dozen different ones in a bag in your pocket for roaming.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Boldbear,

Some expert advice here and Sipidan's post has got me thinking I need some of those lures (yet more lures!)

From a novice's point of view, I have always favoured ABU Toby's in the past, but in recent years I have had a lot of success with Storm soft baits and Bulldawgs. The Bulldawgs seem ridiculously large at first but they certainly catch pike.

These lures are avaialble on the Tacklebargains link on this site.

Also, I remove the bottom treble hooks.

Good luck.

Have you ever considered buying any from this company....

http://www.thesoftbaitshop.co.uk/Scripts/default.asp

There are all sorts of lures available some will do for pike others for perch, chub and the like. Others are meant for sea use, but all are worth thinking about especially if unusual. Their prices are quite reasonable too.

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing

hi Boldbear dont underestimate the power of the 'S', i have hundreds of pounds worth of lures in my lure bag but if i'm having a hard day i always stick on a blue Big 'S' and nearly always end up with a fish rather than a blank . i especially like them on weedy pits in the summer as i retrieve them really slowly so they are only just wobbling from side to side on the surface over the weed beds and then i give a couple of fast turns to get them down in the clear spots between weed beds. also if fishing in snaggy or tigtht swims with awkward casts and accidently throw one up a tree its only cost a couple of quid rather than the £10 - £15 that some of my lures cost ;)

NB. I fish part of the upper Great Ouse where some big pike (20 pounders approx) are often seen attacking shoals of silverfish but hardly anyone fishes for them so I would love to have a go after them.

BB

As a matter of interest BoldBear, wherabouts on the Ouse are you trying?

I fish around the Olney area and there are certainly big pike in the stretches around there. They have frequently attacked and savaged silver fish that I've caught and have made me jump out of my skin on more than occasion!

However, we've never actually caught one when fishing for them with a lure.

Must try harder!

:)

Our chief weapon is surprise