Fishing Loch Derg in southern Ireland

rich

Its probable that we're nipping to southern ireland at easter to see some friends for a couple of days and the mention of a days fishing hasn't caused any uproar, the closest water (to nenagh) I can see is Loch Derg.

I'm not really going to be up for traveling too far as the day may involve pre-baiting the evening before followed by a full day on the water.

I'll probably go with the standard open ended feeder approach and maggots/works for hookbait but has anyone got any snippets of info I might use?

Cheers.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Pre-baiting, as you mention, is the key. Lots of it! If you can i.e. you'll need a boat, pre-bait and then fish from Church Island. It was superb when we last fished it (3 years ago probably).

Paul

Basically what paul d says....worm and caster has always worked well for me.

The river is now very clear and not what it once was, but the back water @ the shabeen(sp) is very deep so the clear water dosnt mater as much.

had some great times around derg over the years :D

Its probable that we're nipping to southern ireland at easter to see some friends for a couple of days and the mention of a days fishing hasn't caused any uproar, the closest water (to nenagh) I can see is Loch Derg.

I'm not really going to be up for traveling too far as the day may involve pre-baiting the evening before followed by a full day on the water.

I'll probably go with the standard open ended feeder approach and maggots/works for hookbait but has anyone got any snippets of info I might use?

Cheers.

a small amount of prebait at this time of year for two or tree evenings will do the trik near deep watter