Piking around Stockholm

Jim Murray

Got a weekend in Stockholm coming up & was looking to take the pike fly rod over. Having only fished for rudd, crucians etc. when there before does anyone know if it's feasible to target pike from the bank at this time of year?

I'll be staying right in town so either there or within an hours' drive would be good. Not looking for big fish, just a chance of some sport as I probably will only manage 2 or 3 short sessions.

Hoping Jan O is online :)

Got a weekend in Stockholm coming up & was looking to take the pike fly rod over. Having only fished for rudd, crucians etc. when there before does anyone know if it's feasible to target pike from the bank at this time of year?

I'll be staying right in town so either there or within an hours' drive would be good. Not looking for big fish, just a chance of some sport as I probably will only manage 2 or 3 short sessions.

Hoping Jan O is online :)

Online I am... :) Well, Im not an expert on pike flyfishing but if You have an email adress I could send You some information that im sure could be useful. If im free there is a chance that I could offer you a boattrip on lake Mälaren, with good chance to catch some nice pike... mail me at jan@jan-o.se

Ps, adding an apetizer...

post-3321-1224577119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jan O

Online I am... :) Well, Im not an expert on pike flyfishing but if You have an email adress I could send You some information that im sure could be useful. If im free there is a chance that I could offer you a boattrip on lake Mälaren, with good chance to catch some nice pike... mail me at jan@jan-o.se

Ps, adding an apetizer...

Another fine looking fish Jan!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Thanks for this Jan, email on its' way.

Btw mighty fine gadda :D

There is plenty of pike fishing in and around stockholm. go to a takle shop and ask, you might even get an invite on a boat.

The sea trout are running through stockholm right now but I dont remember if the season ends end of October or end of september.

Lure fishing from the bank will catch pike and perch and on the right water Zander, you really need to find a tackle shop in the area you are going, try google someone in the shop will speak English I am sure and will put you on the fish.

Good luck and please let us know (with pictures) how you get on.

Cheers

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Sweden is the only place I've ever been where English isn't the first language and yet every single person I met spoke perfect English. Even the kids serving in McDonalds could speak better English than what I can :rolleyes:

I put this down to the fact that (when I went 25 years ago) their TV showed US films and UK TV programmes but, instead of dubbing them like a lot of countries, the Swedes left the original soundtracks and used subtitles. Of course, it could just be down to a better education system.

Sweden is the only place I've ever been where English isn't the first language and yet every single person I met spoke perfect English. Even the kids serving in McDonalds could speak better English than what I can :rolleyes:

I put this down to the fact that (when I went 25 years ago) their TV showed US films and UK TV programmes but, instead of dubbing them like a lot of countries, the Swedes left the original soundtracks and used subtitles. Of course, it could just be down to a better education system.

I lived in Sweden for 2 years, all kids learn English from the age of 7 (they dont start school until tere 7) my kids had an advantage in the english leassons!!!

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jim, how was your weekend, any Pike on the fly?

Sent you an email Jan if you want to check. We ended up at an inlet East of the city and didn't get any fish but had a couple of small ones swirl at the fly - one right under the rod tip, as often happens - yet every time it still makes me jump! Only inches away from my first Baltic pike.

When I come again I will try to plan better of course. The inlet we fished looked excellent but we were a little restricted on bank space. When I fished in Scotland we used to do well by wading in the shallow margins & casting the pike fly to likely reed beds etc. Do you know if there is any of this type of water around Stockholm? I didn't have waders with me but I'm sure they would have been handy as long as the margins weren't too steeply shelving.

As you know the terrain is fairly rocky so I'm not sure if wading would be safe around there. Thanks for the info & really hope to hook up with you on my next visit.