. bullhead

Perch

Bluegill

Green sunfish

Warmouth

Long nose gar

Crappie

Carp

And a variety of fish I lump together as 'shad' although they are various species of fish - I never really learned which ones there were since they don't bit on any rigs I use.

Excuse me for my ignorance of your fish species newt, but whats a crappie as i always thought it was a term for carp state side?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Black Crappie

fishblackcrappie.jpg

A small-medium size pred - I think our state record is around 5 lbs but I have never seen one over about 3 lbs up close and personal. They are probably the main sporting species in the US that needs the delicate presentation so common in the UK. The nickname 'papermouth' is accurate. Largish mouth but the tissues are very thin so small guage hooks & very light line are the way to go. Live baits and lures are the main ways to catch them and even a large one fights about like a wet rag. If they weren't so good to eat, very few anglers would target them.

They do have the distinction of being one of the very few species found in the southern US that remain active all through the winter.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Black Crappie

fishblackcrappie.jpg

A small-medium size pred - I think our state record is around 5 lbs but I have never seen one over about 3 lbs up close and personal. They are probably the main sporting species in the US that needs the delicate presentation so common in the UK. The nickname 'papermouth' is accurate. Largish mouth but the tissues are very thin so small guage hooks & very light line are the way to go. Live baits and lures are the main ways to catch them and even a large one fights about like a wet rag. If they weren't so good to eat, very few anglers would target them.

They do have the distinction of being one of the very few species found in the southern US that remain active all through the winter.

Thanks for that newt, it appears to be quite similar to your perch in size and shape. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

From what I read, the most likely result would be removal of this downed tree which is a shame. It should provide algal growth and some protection from tiddlers, an ambush site for pike around the edges, and almost certainly the cover and shade large perch would find appealing.

Just for fun - if you happened on cover like this, how would you approach it (rig & bait or lure) from

- the bank

- a boat

or would you just avoid it as a place that might eat your tackle?

{Note: Den actually fished this tree last Autumn. Conditions were wrong (water way too warm) and the end result was no takes but he knows for sure he fished the whole tree.}

fishy2.jpg

If that was in a good chub river in the UK I would be ecstatic! I couldn't say just how I would fish it from what I have seen in the pictures, but I do know that the chub I would want to catch would be under that tree. It might take a little while to work out what to do about it, but while the fish were there, removing the snag would not be an option!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Spinner baits would be my pick for working the outer edges.

Den was fishing a soft plastic rigged weedless and dropping it into the center parts of the tree with the boat almost touching the outer limbs. Fish seem to feel secure in the center of a thicket like that and you can approach as close as you wish as long as the boat doesn't hit any part of the tree.

He stood on the bow and pitched the lure into likely looking spots.

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/flip&pitch.html

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Was just about to post a photo of a Crappie I caught in similar circumstances when fishing with Newt last Fall.......ere then whilst struggling to find the pic on the PC remembered Im on Kims and not my own at home! :doh:

Stu Gillham and ET often used to joke (whilst I was eating) that at a PAC/NASA etc do in the future they would all sit around saying "Do you remember old Budgie...........before he exploded?" :D

I think more apropriate now would be before he went totally senile! :rolleyes::(

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!