Just a paddle

Jeff S

Spent the morning thinking about what sort of dry gear to get and finally got down to Go2H20. I grabbed a light dry cag and trousers, a couple of pads for the roof rack and a paddle leash. Peter threw in the pads and paddle leash and gave me a 10% discount on top of that so I went away pretty happy. I didn’t want to make the trip back home before leaving for N. Stainley so I put the yak on top before I left.

After I picked up the dry gear I headed for the canal. I thought I would put in near the car park. I pulled in and found that I would have to portage at least twice in 400 meters so not far from there is an RPA car park. So I went there instead. It looked like it hadn’t been used in a few years. It was pretty overgrown and I ran the risk of scratching the paint on the car. Better yet I would only have to carry the yak about 50 feet.

Once I got it to the water and the car locked. I set myself to figure out how to get in the kayak and not in the drink. I did pretty well and the stability wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. They have been clearing away quite a bit of willows and trees from around the bank of the canal. I haven’t actually fished it in two years so it all looked new to me. I brought my daughter to this bridge back then and caught a few perch from just this side facing the reeds on the right.

2289046968_dce107ea14_m.jpg

Another .25 mile or so I had to portage, this being the last lock before the river. 300 meters behind me in the picture is the mouth to R. Ure.

2288949541_f125d4eb80_m.jpg

I turned right to go upriver to see how hard it would be to make it back against the current. Wasn’t terribly bad so I headed downriver towards Newby Hall.

Here’s Newby Hall. I’ve caught loads of pike here as well as a few perch. Surprisingly no chub though.

2289051302_bbd994ec44_m.jpg

2288270215_3945b852d7_m.jpg

This is the bank were I resigned myself. It’s quite different to be looking across to where I used to cast from! Greener on the other side as they say. I also found a floating dead sheep near here. I took a picture then thought better of posting it.

2289058992_1cd94a0409_m.jpg

The wind started to pick up about 1500 and about then I decided to head back. Not only did I have to battle the current but the wind as well. I could probably use a rudder but for what I want to do I doubt I really NEED one. I had a lot of course correction but it wasn’t too bad especially straight into the wind. I made it back to the entrance to the canal and decided to go a little further and reminisce.

2288896657_842171918c_m.jpg

A further .5 mile or so is the sailing club. This was where I caught my first British pike 6 years ago last month. It took me two months to find out where they were and another to finally catch one.

2289066070_24522543a3_m.jpg

Camping?

2289067370_6607314069_m.jpg

Then it was back down to the canal in reverse order, portage and then these knob heads showed up. Making loads of noise on a moped/scooter/motorbike of some sort. One asked me why I was taking pictures of him ‘mate’. That was after they put their hoods up so as not to be recognized. :rolleyes:

2288951691_4109ae944e_m.jpg

I put in at 1300 and was back at the car loading everything by 1630. So around 3 miles all told. I do know that if I am going to fish from this I am going to need to make some adjustments to the rod holder to minimize over reaching and second.. Not put in so far from my fishing location! Twas a nice paddle and I only got my feet wet.

Thanks for the inspiration guys. You’ve met your match! B):)

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Spent the morning thinking about what sort of dry gear to get and finally got down to Go2H20. I grabbed a light dry cag and trousers, a couple of pads for the roof rack and a paddle leash. Peter threw in the pads and paddle leash and gave me a 10% discount on top of that so I went away pretty happy. I didn’t want to make the trip back home before leaving for N. Stainley so I put the yak on top before I left.

After I picked up the dry gear I headed for the canal. I thought I would put in near the car park. I pulled in and found that I would have to portage at least twice in 400 meters so not far from there is an RPA car park. So I went there instead. It looked like it hadn’t been used in a few years. It was pretty overgrown and I ran the risk of scratching the paint on the car. Better yet I would only have to carry the yak about 50 feet.

Once I got it to the water and the car locked. I set myself to figure out how to get in the kayak and not in the drink. I did pretty well and the stability wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. They have been clearing away quite a bit of willows and trees from around the bank of the canal. I haven’t actually fished it in two years so it all looked new to me. I brought my daughter to this bridge back then and caught a few perch from just this side facing the reeds on the right.

2289046968_dce107ea14_m.jpg

Another .25 mile or so I had to portage, this being the last lock before the river. 300 meters behind me in the picture is the mouth to R. Ure.

2288949541_f125d4eb80_m.jpg

I turned right to go upriver to see how hard it would be to make it back against the current. Wasn’t terribly bad so I headed downriver towards Newby Hall.

Here’s Newby Hall. I’ve caught loads of pike here as well as a few perch. Surprisingly no chub though.

2289051302_bbd994ec44_m.jpg

2288270215_3945b852d7_m.jpg

This is the bank were I resigned myself. It’s quite different to be looking across to where I used to cast from! Greener on the other side as they say. I also found a floating dead sheep near here. I took a picture then thought better of posting it.

2289058992_1cd94a0409_m.jpg

The wind started to pick up about 1500 and about then I decided to head back. Not only did I have to battle the current but the wind as well. I could probably use a rudder but for what I want to do I doubt I really NEED one. I had a lot of course correction but it wasn’t too bad especially straight into the wind. I made it back to the entrance to the canal and decided to go a little further and reminisce.

2288896657_842171918c_m.jpg

A further .5 mile or so is the sailing club. This was where I caught my first British pike 6 years ago last month. It took me two months to find out where they were and another to finally catch one.

2289066070_24522543a3_m.jpg

Camping?

2289067370_6607314069_m.jpg

Then it was back down to the canal in reverse order, portage and then these knob heads showed up. Making loads of noise on a moped/scooter/motorbike of some sort. One asked me why I was taking pictures of him ‘mate’. That was after they put their hoods up so as not to be recognized. :rolleyes:

2288951691_4109ae944e_m.jpg

I put in at 1300 and was back at the car loading everything by 1630. So around 3 miles all told. I do know that if I am going to fish from this I am going to need to make some adjustments to the rod holder to minimize over reaching and second.. Not put in so far from my fishing location! Twas a nice paddle and I only got my feet wet.

Thanks for the inspiration guys. You’ve met your match! B):)

Nice one jeff, an entertaining report of your paddle - have a look at the prowler project on AA home page for some ideas on rod rests.

Cheers

Steve

Nice photos there Geoff,recognise the banks as I've fished them a bit on the Ripon day tickets, the sailing club in your pictures is the bit thats referred to as the "yachts section"

The stretch as a whole throws up a lot of very good fish of all species but if you fish it then you'll allready know that

Great report Jeff,

Whats the legalities of fishing from a craft on this canal then? do you need a BCU licence and are any of the bank stretches run by club's.

Nemo,

Perception Freedom Angler

Nice photos there Geoff,recognise the banks as I've fished them a bit on the Ripon day tickets, the sailing club in your pictures is the bit thats referred to as the "yachts section"

The stretch as a whole throws up a lot of very good fish of all species but if you fish it then you'll allready know that

Hi Brian,

Yachts section indeed. The water there has to be fairly deep and you have to be aware of the power lines that run through that area. I didn't realize how close together it all was until I paddled it. It takes nearly as long to drive to each location as it does to paddle. Can't wait to fish it.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Great report Jeff,

Whats the legalities of fishing from a craft on this canal then? do you need a BCU licence and are any of the bank stretches run by club's.

From what I understand you need a rod license, a day ticket/member of the piscatorial and a BCU number. I ran across a statement that said you had to be moored to the canal bank in order to fish. I posted that recently but can find it if you need it.

(added) This might be wrong----> Also canoeing/kayaking only applies on navigable waters <----so you have to be aware of land ownership and who to get in contact with for access to the area you want to fish/kayak. This is an ongoing effort and apparently only 2% of rivers are available for access by canoes/kayaks. I think you need to have a separate boat license to fish the Thames. Someone else can probably give you more information.

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...