In-Line Leads.........

Polly

I prefer to fish an in-line set up but as a "rookie" on a syndicate lake last term Itook advice took advise from the estasblished members and switched over to using a pendant lead on a release clip rather than the in-line style I prefer fishing. The claim from the other members was that the in-line set up is VERY prone to snagging in weeds and that I'd end up losing fish due to the lead not falling free when a hooked fish found sanctuary in the thick weed beds. The lake I fish does get VERY weedy during the Summer month although I try to target either the silt or gravel patches. Most fish in the lake are upper doubles thru to big thirties and are quick to find the weed even if they pick up from silt or gravel. As a rookie I was still finding my feet last term and advise was appreciated but didn't get too many runs. Banked 3 good carp and lost 2 (using pendant leads) so difficult to sat if in-line would have made a difference. I'd like to switch ban to in-line this term to see if my runs increase but do NOT want to jeopardise fish safety and cause snagged or tethered fish. Any views ???????

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

I prefer to fish an in-line set up but as a "rookie" on a syndicate lake last term Itook advice took advise from the estasblished members and switched over to using a pendant lead on a release clip rather than the in-line style I prefer fishing. The claim from the other members was that the in-line set up is VERY prone to snagging in weeds and that I'd end up losing fish due to the lead not falling free when a hooked fish found sanctuary in the thick weed beds. The lake I fish does get VERY weedy during the Summer month although I try to target either the silt or gravel patches. Most fish in the lake are upper doubles thru to big thirties and are quick to find the weed even if they pick up from silt or gravel. As a rookie I was still finding my feet last term and advise was appreciated but didn't get too many runs. Banked 3 good carp and lost 2 (using pendant leads) so difficult to sat if in-line would have made a difference. I'd like to switch ban to in-line this term to see if my runs increase but do NOT want to jeopardise fish safety and cause snagged or tethered fish. Any views ???????

Switch back to in-lines, shouldn't be any issue, as long as your rigs are safe. You can always use lighter hooklengths than the mainline to give added confidence in the event of a breakage.

I'm always reluctant to accept other peoples advice, especially when it goes against the general concensus / experience. I would add that in my experience in-lines aren't any advantage in weedy conditions, but I've never noticed them to be a disadvantage either.

Rob.

I've gotten the same advice more than once from Carpers more experienced than myself, but I've stuck with in-line set-ups, and have no complaints. Most of my weedy snags come loose with a bit of patient "sawing" and any rigs I lose are normally lost to my hook setting into a log. <_<

Try this set up and see what you think. Unfortunately it is best fished with leadcore as you will see in a bit.

Starting from the rod tip ok:

Attatch your leadcore as you would normally. Now thread a tail rubber up the line. Now tie your leadcore to the ring side of a ring swivel(forget about the lead for now, it will become clear in a bit)now either quick link your hooklength or tie it to the swivel but tie it to the same ring end of the ringswivel as the leadcore. Now push the end of the swivel that isn't being used into the bottom of your inline lead. Run the leadcore up the outside of the lead and now push the tail rubber on to the top of the lead. Hey prestow! an inline set up which will eject if it gets stuck in weed.

I've attatched a quick sketch to help.

post-4584-1204052704_thumb.jpg

Effort equals reward!!