Cumbrian Trip

Martin Hurst

Well , Marks postings have made me feel guilty as like a lot of veterans I havent popped in for a while!! So here goes

Ventured up to sunny St Bees to see the folks at the weekend. Not much room for tackle and the option of leaving the youngster didnt go down well ::) Arrived around midday and went straight down to the beach to see if a launch was in order. the fog still was lurking so decided on a late night trip instead.

Picture010.jpg

I had a bit of calamari with me and headed out around 10pm. High tide was around 1am and with big tides I was loathe to venture to far out from the imposing sandstone cliffs of St Bees head. There strange currents as the Solway exerts its presence and despite growing up on the cliffs I was a bit apprehensive. I anchored up and down went a double squid. immediately the rod was rattling and a few missed strikes later I hooked into something which completely straigtened the light aberdeen hooks. This was repeated a number of times before a strap conger broke surface and was easily shaken Off.

Monday broke and it was straight into Town for some big hooks and fresh bait - only for the tackle shop to be closed every Monday!!

With Mrs H and Young H pestering for a trip out somewhere it was down to Ravenglass for a look at future launch sites!! ;D

Picture001.jpg

But i'm all heart and we potered up to eskdale on laal Ratty

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

which I surprisingly enjoyed along with a couple of pints of timmy Taylors in the appropriately named bar at the localin dalegarth

Picture004.jpg

A launch again from St bees followed having acquired 2 mackies from Tescos , slack water fishing superbly for some good dabs but it went quiet as soon as the flood got underway

Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpg

I nipped in close to the cliffs to escape the flow and put on some left over smelly squid!! Seconds later ( more like 30mins!!) I was rudely awoken as I hit the water !! Late nights had caught up and i'd literaly dropped off ;D was back in the yak in a flash , but after 15mins called it a day as my head and hands were frozen!!

It was soon time to depart back to wales and with the focus loaded it was typical that the skies were clear and the sea a millpond

Picture014.jpg

The journey over the fells was a pleasure

Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Ok Prowler 13

I was rudely awoken as I hit the water !! Late nights had caught up and i'd literaly dropped off ;D was back in the yak in a flash , but after 15mins called it a day as my head and hands were frozen!!

Picture017.jpg

Nice report! The last picture looks familiar!

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...