Free fishing in Barbel area around Norwich?

Mark Crame

Hiya chubhunter1 and welcome to Anglers Net.

You may want to edit and remove the specific location information from your post. These topics are read by hundreds of people each day and your venue may not respond well if a few dozen (or hundred) anglers decide to visit for the great fishing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not 100% sure on the legalities of this but river fish are not owned by anyone. Therefore if your fishing from a kayak, and can enter and exit river from an area where you have prior permission from the landowner, I would think you can fish for nothing. As you cannot be "stealing a land owners fishing rights by not paying" as you are not fishing from their land! Perhaps other anglers on this site can elaborate on this.

if a club owns the fishing rights, which they do to be able to charge for tickets then you do have to pay from any kind of boat.

Plus the wensum is a very small river and you would be increedibly unpopular paddling through someones swim.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

• 4 months later...

RE

if your are looking for barble in norfolk then you can forget free fishing. barble in that part of the country are a bit like rocking horse poo. The only river that i know that holds barble is the Wensum, and i only know about that thanks to John wilsons go fishing programmes. This river is controlled by clubs so contact a local tackle shop about the river.

The Wensum has plenty of free fishing areas that are not privately owned

I have had 4 nice Barbel out in the last 2 weeks and a friend of mine has had one also.

Just because John Wilson mostly fisher’s private waters on his old TV show doesn’t mean you can’t catch specimen fish from none privet reaches.

In fact the Barbel are now so wide spread in the Wensum you could catch one from almost anywhere from Costessey mill to New Mills Yard.

post-17903-1252860234_thumb.jpg