Circle hooks for pike

The Flying Tench

I've been reading a book which recommends single circle hooks for pike, rather than a 'snap tackle' with 2 trebles, and I've heard this said before. But how does it work in detail, and what size hooks should I use? I usually wobble a deadbait. Should I simply lip hook it, or should I put the hook in through the mouth and bury it in the body, coming out of the back, a bit like a plastic? And what about a ledgered or float fished deadbait?

Presumably I should make up a trace with steel wire and crimps, as with a treble hook?

It would be good to hear from someone with experience of doing this.

john clarke

Tench,

It’s no mystery circle hooks are less harmful to fish intended for release than J hooks, but there is a downside when it comes to catching predators – circle hooks don’t set well during ferocious bites. (Actually IMO they don't set at all)

So, you've ask a question that can be answered "yes or no".

C vs J - -

Better C&R

Worse hookup rate.

Here is how a circle hook works: Start with a circle hook tied to about 2 ft of line. Lay hook on a piece of screen wire (you know, the kind that covers doors and windows). Drag the hook slowly toward the edge. A circle hook will rotate and "catch" at the last moment when falling off. A "J" hook will not "upright" without "setting the hook".

I've never caught a pike on a circle hook. But I believe it is because I haven't tried (?). In the US we don't care if we "rip a few lips". I'd bet if you did catch a pike on a circle it would very easily drop off in the net. (just guessing since I haven't any experience)

Using circle hooks for pike is an interesting concept, but the way in which they are designed to work is unlikely to be effective. As Phone points out, they are designed to hook the fish AS THE HOOK LEAVES THE MOUTH (which is why they are commonly used on unattended, baited commercial long-lines in our seas and oceans) - and to do this, the hook needs to be exposed rather than buried in a dead bait ... and on the way out of a pikes mouth rather than being swallowed.

They work very well (for other species) hair-rigged, but can be sirprisingly awkward to remove (even the barbless ones), particularly in the smaller sizes. Circle hooks that I've used have been amongst the sharperst I've evr experienced and WILL stick you fingers etc with ease, regardlesds of how experienced you are.

The main issue with a circle hook (to allow it to the job it was designed for) is NOT to strike into a fish (which may be very unwise where pike are concerned as they may be in the process of swallowing the bait) - instead of striking, a steady pull / pressure is exerted, in effect pulling the bait out of the fished mouth and allowing the circle hook to find a prchase as it exits.

Leon,

Nice old thread. I miss Budgie and others who commented.

THE (neverending) DEBATE RAGES - (2006 - 2016)

Philo,

Since I agree, you've made a great post.

All,

Notice, I said "worse" hookup rate - not impossible hookup rate. Equally, every "J" hook hookup does not result in C&R damage.

Phone

A book recommends circles but not how to use them. How refreshing. Im also certain i predicted this in one of the many circle debates.

Im still on the fence with circles i do know not to take for granted the claims of their deep hooking free properties. Dont use a circle where the point juts out from the side or deep hooking is more of a possibility and resist the urge to strike. Gentle pull back to drag the hook over an edge amd be prepared for the majority of hook hopds to be in the scissors (my main complaint with circles)

Im only posting this for phones benefit really as I dont want to let him down with a lack of my signature pike welfare moanings.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy,

Thanks, I appreciate the attention - good or bad. I must admit I admire your "tongue in cheek" comments best.

As for circles - IMO not effective with carp. JUST MY OPINION - I think the more pronounced (sharply) the quarry's lip is the more effective a circle might be. Carp have sort of a "rounded edge" lip. Of course, I suppose you can't minimize how aggressive a particular species might be on any given session. My limited experience has been not only the same species but the SAME dam fish doesn't always strike the same way every time.

Does any of this post make any sense at all?

Phone

Leon,

Nice old thread. I miss Budgie and others who commented.

Phone

You'll find Budgie on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/budgie.burgess.9

And his new venture at https://www.facebook.com/BASS-ONLINE-327382203987699

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust