'Internet Explorer has stopped working'

I regularly get a little box coming up saying this, and it's not normally any real bother. Often it's only for a second or two, or else I have to close the window and start again which doesn't really matter. But I've started playing live chess games online, and it's a real pain because at best I lose valuable minutes, and at worst I lose the screen altogether and forfeit the game.

Does everyone get this, and is there anything I can do?

Thanks

John

john clarke

What operating system and what IE version?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Does it only crash when.playing the chess game. Does it happen on A-N for example.

My first thought would be if the game was flash based causing issues. Uninstall flash and reinstall from adobe website naking sure you uncheck the option to install a 3rd party software bundled in to the flash installer (its on the website before you download)

if not flash then id see if an update or new version is available and if that doesnt work ditch IE and try a diff browser. Im back on firefox.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Newt, it's Windows 8 and IE 11, as far as I can tell.

Andy, the message that IE has stopped working can, I think, come at any time, but it only causes a crash when on the chess program. I don't really understand about Flash, but it kinda makes sense. I'll try it on Firefox for starters.

Thanks

John

john clarke

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade to Windows 10 and you'll be rid of IE forever.

christ man, upgrade the whole OS just to get rid of IE ? you do know win 10 is one huge massive data grab. Bend opver and take it is microsofts new philosophy.

yes you can disable most of the spying crap but its known that these settings are being overrriden by microsoft with users finding the settings to spy on them re-enabled. peoples computers being upgraded to windows 10 without permission, nagware being added to win 7 computers under the guise that they are "important security updates"

Honestly its time to ditch Microsoft.

The day photoshop is ported to linux microsoft wont ever see me use their crap again (holding on to my copy of win 7 with a death grip)

http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=windows+10&advanced=1&author=&date=the+dawn+of+time&site=0&results_per_page=20

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk