Mono recommendations.

wellyphant

Please can someone recommend to me a good mono both for mainline and hook that has a relatively low diameter, is supple and abrasion resistent.

I'm hoping for something like Drennan double strength but mixed reviews have put me off buying that particular product.

I will be mainly using the line fishing straight through to the hook, mainly from a centre pin to wrestle tench out of lillypads.

Thanks in advance

I have never had cause to complain about Maxima. I am still using from bulk spools purchased in the 1990s - kept in the dark, cool and dry. I refill reels from the bulk stock about every other year in the case of 5 lb BS or greater, More often in the case of thinner lines.

Maxima SINKS, is usually rated BELOW its true BS and is as tough as old boots.

If I need a floating line I use Perlon or the Drennan floater.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I use daiwa sensor on my 'pins. it's tough, sinks well for waggler fishing and cheap enough that you can change it every 2/3 trips or whenever you want to change breaking strain

if I want to go a little lighter at the hook I use a drennan barbless carp hook to nylon.

Mat

Mat

another vote for maxima, chameleon to be precise. absolutely love the stuff. ill also echo what Vagabond says its quite strong I use the 1.5lb stuff for hook lengths the most and takes a right good beating off the perch in the 1lb range on my canal and has never let me down even with spade ended size 20's. you look at it and think, yes it says 1.5lb but its super super thin how on earth has it not broken yet :lol:

I happily use it as a mainline too up to 8lb but i much more prefer greys g-tech supermainline when I can get it. as the name suggest, its super! best mainline ive ever used. Its strong (stronger than maxima imo) and a very thin for its BS and the abrasion properties of it imo are really quite good. It's not the most suple of lines but certainly not the worst, not even a concern fo rme imo as a mainline, teamed with chameleon hook lengths i thnk its a fantastic setup. not recomended for hook lengths though, straight through no bother.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

To add, personally I wouldn't use any of the more modern pre-stretched lines like double strength for larger fish near snags, they just don't have the stretch to cushion big fish on a short line or the abrasion resistance to cope with a fish running into the pads!

Mat

Mat

I don't think there is anything wrong with Maxima or Sensor for mainlines. I've used a few others in recent years, and they've been fine, but really nothing special.

For hooklengths, though, I think the Preston Innovations Reflo Power is really very good stuff.

I like to use Sensor straight through in 6lb for tench. If Iuse a hooklength it would be 4lb sensor or silstar matchman. I have used prestons as a hooklength but I find silstar much tougher and doesn't twist anything like as easy.

I think Reflo twists more because it's thinner and limper for a given BS though. I tend to meet in the middle on BS and diameter, bit stronger and a bit thinner.

For Waggler fishing using 2lb up to 6lb main line I usually prefer to use Maxima Chameleon mainly because it sinks well; although I'm not convinced with its abrasion resistance.

I will occasionally use Drennan FloatFish when I don't have any Chameleon with me or I am fishing close to reeds and might need a little more abrasion resistance.

NB. Although FloatFish is known for being a good floating line; as long as there is very little or no surface scum It can still be sunk fairly easily.

For fishing a Stick/Avon/Balsa float I will usually use Drennan FloatFish.

When I am not float fishing and am using lines of 6lb upwards my favourite line is Terry Eustace Pro-Gold; which always gets excellent writeups in the yearly EFFT line tests for its under rated line strengths, it's excellent abrasion resistance and for it's nice suppleness compared to a lot of other lines out there.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)