Mono recommendations.

wellyphant

Tigger,

Mechanical force or dynamic force (may be the wrong word, "dynamic"). In your example and my experience the faster you reel the more resistance the bag puts up.

I'll stick with Archimedes' principle for now. I might add, I'm not sure what role gravity plays when we remove the fish from the formula.

If a fish weighed anything in water it would either sink or float. Most fish have a gas air sac to compensate for minor variations. Remember water can not be compressed.

Phone

All,

A fish should have a very similar density to the water it swims in. Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the water it displaces.

A fish weighs ZERO in the water.

Strength and durability are genetic issues.

Phone

Of course, can't believe anyone can dispute this, well I can actually.

Why does a plastic bag weighing a few grames on land feel like a ton weight when you hook it in the water then......genetics ?

Because while it may only weigh a few grams, when you hook it, it's filled with water and although that water may not have weight, it still has mass. You still need to overcome inertia and you still need to overcome friction with the water that you are pulling it through and if you are in moving water, you are in real trouble.

It's a bit like hooking a bream, except bream are relatively streamlined and don't give rise to as much friction. Plastic bags are also less unpleasantly slimy.

Edited by Ken L
  • Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Because while it may only weigh a few grams, when you hook it, it's filled with water and although that water may not have weight, it still has mass. You still need to overcome inertia and you still need to overcome friction with the water that you are pulling it through and if you are in moving water, you are in real trouble.

It's a bit like hooking a bream, except bream are relatively streamlined and don't give rise to as much friction. Plastic bags are also less unpleasantly slimy.

I should have said when they're just in a strip, no bag to hold water like a drogue.

It's like catching / fould hooking a fish, especially when they just give up and float on the surface, they feel like a monster. Wierd really how a lip hooked fish is far easier to retrieve than a foul hooked one that's given up. I reckon it's because the lip hooked fish is upright and positioned to cut through the water as it would be when swimming as normal, your just guiding it around by it's nose lol.

I think the clear only starts in 8lb and upwards. I've used the 8lb and 10lb in clear and it's been sound, no problems with it at all.

As Richard said, there is or there was a slight variation in it to the two in the line test results.

I think the difference was something to do with one of the two colours (in the same diameter/ breaking strain) was a little weaker. They both break well above their stated B/S though so nothing to worry about Mat.

I found this one.....

http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/images/line-test/Tackle-Box-Line-Tests.pdf

Lookin' at those results just confirms my experience with sensor.

Edited by Tigger