Mono recommendations.

wellyphant

I tried 10lb hyper sensor at Wingham last year and wished I hadn't, after a few casts it was so badly twisted that I had to be very careful to stop it twisting around the rod tip when casting.

I've never used hyper sensor so can't comment on it. Whatever line you use (however crap it is) it won't just twist for no reason, something must be causing it to happen, maybe your set up? Obviously some lines will show twist sooner than others.

People often wind in fast as they can, especially when legering and fishing at any distance so if your weight or feeder or even bait spins round on the retreive, maybe a swivel isn't rotating as it should or the set up needs looking at, your line will twist....simple as that.

Edited by Tigger

Twist is an odd thing. I have a feeling that a stiff line won't twist as easily (say on the retrieve with double maggot) but that once it is twisted (say by using the clutch) it is more likely to spin up on itself.

Twist is an odd thing. I have a feeling that a stiff line won't twist as easily (say on the retrieve with double maggot) but that once it is twisted (say by using the clutch) it is more likely to spin up on itself.

I thought that as well Steve, but when using low diameter subtle hooklinks i've had it twist up on itself also, but unlike the ordinary line that you can just untwist it again, stretch it a bit and carry on using it the low diameter line usually needs replacing as it's kinked to buggery and doesn't hang right. The use of a swivel has stopped it from happening sometimes when i've been trotting but sometimes it still twists.. I think a lot of the swivels we buy just don't swivel freely enough. Maybe the more expensive bearing swivels would work better...worth a try I suppose.

Edited by Tigger

All,

If you think line twists take a 25 ft measure off a new spool of line and lay it out on the floor. Now wait and see how long it takes for the line to twist. You'll wait forever!!

First solution for line twist is a baitcaster reel. No, or few, Brits will read that sentence. There are about as many reasons for line twist as there are carp baits.

The mechanical cause of line twist is in the rig, i.e.large spinners. Do NOT look to the line or line manufacturer for a fix.

My "go to" fix for line twist is a couple ice cubes. The ones with a hole down the center. Tie 3 or 4 (or more) to the line. Cast, wait till the ice melts, reel in with tension between thumb and forefinger. Re-tie rig and fish.

Seems odd to me that a "baitcaster" reek is best for lures and a "spinning reel" is best for static fishing. But that has been my experience. I use the WORST of both worlds - a spincast reel.

Phone

I've never used hyper sensor so can't comment on it. Whatever line you use (however crap it is) it won't just twist for no reason, something must be causing it to happen, maybe your set up? Obviously some lines will show twist sooner than others.

People often wind in fast as they can, especially when legering and fishing at any distance so if your weight or feeder or even bait spins round on the retreive, maybe a swivel isn't rotating as it should or the set up needs looking at, your line will twist....simple as that.

I was using the same simple free running maggot feeder set up that I use all the time, I've not had the problem with any other line, and not had it since I took the hyper sensor off and replaced it with "normal" sensor. I had the problem on all three rods, so it wasn't simply a jammed swivel or similar.

The line was so badly twisted that as soon as it went slack while I was re-filling the feeder it just "sprung" and made several turns around the rod tip all of it's own accord!

Each to his own, but I won't be using it again!!

Mat

Mat

Mat,

You may be absolutely correct. I don't know the line diameter difference or weight difference between the two you've mentioned. For example, holding the rod at 45 degrees how much weight does it take to make the line hang at a straight 90 degree angle. One or two sessions can make a lasting impression on the angler but there are so many factors involved it is hard to say what "happened".

100% for sure it was NOT the line that twisted. It was something "different" you did or did not do that supplied the energy to do that.

Phone

Ohh, and I understand perfectly why you won't use that line again.

Each to his own, but I won't be using it again!!

Mat

I've never used hyper sensor.....I stick with the original sensor ;) . I can't argue with you Mat because I haven't got the answer as to why your hyper sensort twisted like it did for you but I am sure it cant just twist for nothing, something had to have caused it.

I've never used hyper sensor.....I stick with the original sensor ;) . I can't argue with you Mat because I haven't got the answer as to why your hyper sensort twisted like it did for you but I am sure it cant just twist for nothing, something had to have caused it.

Really distorts badly - like a coiled spring when you let the tension off it!

Ever since I can remember I have used Maxima Chameleon, in all breaking strains up to 12lb. I spool it onto the reel of a trusty Mitchell 300s with the source spool held with a pencil between the back of my knees, using the knees as a tensioner. I have rarely had the twist problem. Admittedly most of my fishing is short range, ( up to 3 rod lengths ) either float or ledgering. On the odd occasion when it happens I have just held the line between thumb and index finger on retrieve intermittently stopping a nd shaking the rod, then at the end holding the rod high to let the last of the twist straighten out. This only seems to happen after a few encounters with carp when I have used the drag.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Wotnob,

If you reel through the drag the line will twist equal to the retrieve rate of the reel.

Mat,

Defo sounds like a MAJOR difference occurs. You must have at least an idea why this is/was happening. I'd be interested in what you think.

Phone