Mono recommendations.

wellyphant

Really distorts badly - like a coiled spring when you let the tension off it!

I think line acts like that when it's been put on the spool under too much tension and / or maybe the spool has been overfilled a little , I'm not saying that's what's happend in yours or the other Mats case but I think it can cause it, especially with heavier lines of 10lb and upward.

I think line acts like that when it's been put on the spool under too much tension and / or maybe the spool has been overfilled a little , I'm not saying that's what's happend in yours or the other Mats case but I think it can cause it, especially with heavier lines of 10lb and upward.

I've got it in 2 bs - 6 and 8lbs Tigger. I think hyper S is like a lot of hi tech lines that are pre-stretched, in that they don't seem to straighten up. When I've used maxima on fly leaders with a dry fly that spins, I can straighten maxima by rubbing across my wader top - not so with Drennan Double strength (which look a lot like Floatfish :-) ).

With Hyper S it seems to distort under any sort of pressure - over the tip ring or the bail arm - don;t care which - its coming off for the spring breaming!

M

I wonder if it could be something to do with the friction on your guides ?....i'm glad I didn't try any, I nearly did last summer but the high roller price put me off lol.

I did make the mistake of buying a spool of drennan double strength a few years ago, I really didn't get on with it, it's not even low diameter for it's B/S.

All,

Although it is highly improbable, the slightest nick in any ring or tip will cause this to the extreme. But you said "all three rods" making a flaw 99% impossible.

As well you know - 12lb line is "light" over here. I've NO experience with line as light as you are using since the natural silk days.

Regardless of the explanation it CANNOT be the line. The line is totally inert. The line's energy comes from somewhere else.

Phone

I did make the mistake of buying a spool of drennan double strength a few years ago, I really didn't get on with it, it's not even low diameter for it's B/S.

I did acquire a few spools in a job-lot of tackle I bought at a house-clearance in the 1990s It may have not been looked after properly by the previous owner, so I tested it, found what I had was wanting, binned it, and have never bought any. Not a fair test I agree, but your comments are interesting.

I am pleased (and a bit surprised - I expected to be told to enter the 21st century - but only one did that - thanks Phone) that so many agree with me on Maxima. Most of mine was bought on bulk spool in the 1990s before "Chameleon" but Maxima has never let me down. The only freshwater fishing where I use something else is when I need a floating line (like trotting where I use Perlon) or for spinning, where I use Power-pro braid (for brute strength in lugging lures out of snags)

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I'm very happy with the cheap Chinese stuff that I ordered. No branding indicated when I ordered it but there was a Shimano seal on the spool when it came. I loaded up my float reels and then passed it onto my dad to load his.

I think it was 500m for £3.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thank you Ken, I thought I was missing something.

I also use cheap mono from China (aliexpress) and have no more issue with it than any other line, branded or otherwise.

It's cheap so I change it regularly. I also use sea fishing line (Sakuma) for carp /cat fishing. Very unfashionable but very effective. 100lb cat from a weedy swim on 14lb line works for me.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The stuff from China is very soft and limp making it good for trotting etc. For big fish in Snaggy conditions, the cheapest mono available is the best. Its inevitably hard and spingy but it's tough as nails.

A 100lb cat on 14lb mono is going some. I thought I was doing well with my big mahseer on 30 lb mono - I even managed to get it out from under a log with that.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.