Floodlight fishing

mjbarnes12

Fir tree farm is the featured fishery!

The fishery is floodlit every evening so that it can stay open in the winter until 9pm which in my opinion is an excellent idea. I like most work during the week and so the option of being able to get out mid week after work to get a few hours in is great!

£7 a day ticket which allows you to fish from 6am to 9pm - A few bait bans such as no pellets (available to buy at cost on site) although all is explained by calling up before visiting.

I fished there on Saturday until the lights came on and thought it was quite bizarre. I have put my name down to fish a match tomorrow night with my mate Stu which will be good as long as I do better than him :rolleyes:

Cant wait to fish there tomorrow - dont know what to expect but the idea of fishing in the dark under floodlights appeals to me.

I dont normally do matches but thought I would give it a go!

Has anyone ever fished the night match there?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha! just picked up the copy of IYCF from the newsagents, just realised this flood light place they have done the article on is about 20mins from my house! A few night trips there are on the agenda! :D

If you think fishing under floodlights is acceptable then you practise a different sport to mine.Tell you what though- antis will love it.Just don't drag the rest of us down when commonsense kicks in and nasty little overstocked puddles are subject to some careful scrutiny by the mainstream press.Hear that noise- it's poor old Dick Walker revolving in his grave.Who's he then ?

grayson - putting down a practice because you don't like it is fine in moderation but

- "the antis will get us if you ____________" (put in your own item to fill in the blank) is pure speculation, not borne out by fact, and greatly overused as a scare tactic when condemning what others do

- if you dislike puddles, avoid them but a blanket statement that they are 'nasty' expressed as fact rather than your opinion is a bit much

- deciding the mainstream press will take issue with them in the absence of any proof and stating that as a fact is also a bit much

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Be interesting to hear what you thought of it tonight Mat! Ive fished a couple of venuews over the years that had "artificial" lighting.All as a result of there location I must add rather than dedicated lighting.

I cant see any problem with it.Im not a lover of commercials but I would have thought that anglers wanting to fish evening matchs all year round would be quite happy with the fishery being "flood light"! Like a lot of angling you pays your money and makes your choice! Just wouldnt want to see it down at my local water thanks! all though the amount of light (with their head lamps,bivvy lights.isotopes in everything and ultra bright buzzer LED's) the modern carp anglers seem to use it aint far off!

I would certainly fish a "flood light" match though just for the fun/experience of it! Ollie or Mat might fancy running a flood light AN All Nighter or similar type match?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I didn't really have much of a vaid and fored opinion when starting this post, however I feel that these floodlight matches are more of a commercial match man 'thing' I see the benefit of it to the accesibility of the sport however I cn imagine the purists among you will not be major fans and the antis - what f-ing antis I have never heard or witnessed any of these for myself ever until reading these forums!! personally I really want to see a venue set this up in worcestershire area (there are enough of them) so that I can give it a whirl!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Guest tigger

I enjoy night fishing but I like to fish by the light of the moon or any natural light . If it's a really dark night I just flick on my head lamp to bait up my hook or unhook a fish etc. If i'm ledgering and it's difficult to see the rod tips I just listen for my baitrunners to start clicking or use a bite alarm or tip light. If I'm float fishing I just use a starlight or a battery float. I'd much prefer to be on my own out in the fields than on a fishery resembling a football ground. After saying that it's each to their own so good luck to them, I can't see any harm in it.

If you think fishing under floodlights is acceptable then you practise a different sport to mine.Tell you what though- antis will love it.Just don't drag the rest of us down when commonsense kicks in and nasty little overstocked puddles are subject to some careful scrutiny by the mainstream press.Hear that noise- it's poor old Dick Walker revolving in his grave.Who's he then ?

WOW! What a way to introduce yourself - A lovely second post - I bet you are a joy to be around! Why would you attack such a great revoluntionary idea? If you dont like commercials then dont fish them. As you are new I suppose you havent read many threads however I am sure that you will be able to read them now and see that a lot of people agree and dont like commercials however choose to say simply this rather than rant on!

The pond is lit by the lights however all the light does is enable you to see your tackle/bait/kit etc without the need for a head torch! It isnt as though the water is illuminated completely so that all the fish are there to see!

Budgie - I went to the nasty overstocked puddle last night with the other nasty commercial loving common sense lacking matchmen (lol could resist!) and thouroughly enjoyed it. Draw was at 5:00pm and I drew peg 6 which can be good on occaision. I was set up for 5:30 and ensured I painted my float tips with yellow paint. All in and 6:00 - Had a golden tench, a Green Tench, a Barbel and a few roach - Nowhere near enough fish lol. I weighed in at 5lbs 11oz :oops:

Match was won by a guy next to my mate Stu on peg 19 with 24lb something who went on to draw the golden peg and pocket more cash :clap::clap:

I would recommend it to anyone who wanted an evenings fishing as the novelty value is great - going again next week! Cant wait!

Glad you enjoyed it Mat! I take it that yellow shows up best under these "floodlights" then? I know when Ive fished some local club "all nighters" with normal match gear and an isotope float the results were never as good as during the day.Due to that I would normally target bigger fish "specimen" style during darkness and get the bit bashing rod going at first light.How did the "light" fishing compare to normal day time fishing on the water?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I often night fish for codling and whiting outside a local hotel as it gives you a lot of light to bait hooks etc, I can't imagine this to be much different.

I imagine that the fish feeding habits differ from night to day which you may be able to exploit in the short term, but the additional benefit may be short lived (and may have already passed), such as fishing the margins where the fish are uncomfortable during the day.

tight lines

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY