E U. Should we stay or should we leave.

barry luxton

BREXIT in or out  

52 members have voted

1. 1. should the u k remain in or leave the E U

• vote to stay in
    • vote to stay in following e u rule change
    • vote to leave

Well, thanks for the good news Paul, I'm sick and tired of all this crap going on trying to make Leeds a 'City of Culture'. It means a little to the profile of the city, but sod all to the vast majority of it's inhabitants. There are many more deserving projects that need the councils attention, without paying out for badges, flags, etc, promoting a label that that is just that, a label!

My only hope is that we are not contributing financially towards this farce.

John.

Well John all that European money Invested in the infrastructure in many cases tourism has boomed after the regeneration would you have got it from London never thats the difference and many people when it came to brexit suddenly forgot all the European cash that was pumped into rundown cities the north has boomed with European money .

Hull is a prime example and now the penny has dropped and if you looks at the cuts with Austerity guess who took the biggist hit the north not London it stinks and now here were are when brexit kicks in haveing to really on London for money it will be a recipe for disaster for us up north .

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/huge-difference-city-culture-made-142670

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hull is different to Leeds in many ways, we already have thriving museums, theatres and galleries, as well as the new exhibition centre.

Come back in 5+ years and tell me what still survives of the 'City of Culture' tag. The Northern cities need proper long term investment in housing and infrastructure, as well as jobs. What they don't need is some one off celebration, that lifts the spirits of the people for a year or so, then lets them sink back to where they were.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hull is different to Leeds in many ways, we already have thriving museums, theatres and galleries, as well as the new exhibition centre.

Come back in 5+ years and tell me what still survives of the 'City of Culture' tag. The Northern cities need proper long term investment in housing and infrastructure, as well as jobs. What they don't need is some one off celebration, that lifts the spirits of the people for a year or so, then lets them sink back to where they were.

John.

The jobs this investment creates in the infrastructure is big and i honestly think the affects of the investment goes way behond 5 years it sets the ball rolling for many years down the line this is all about to stop no wonder they are now crying . Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

It might well, but as I said, Leeds is different to Hull, I was there earlier this year, and could see an improvement. To be honest, it didn't need that much to achieve an improvement from what it was like when I was last there a few years ago.

Glasgow in 1990, Liverpool in 2008, were both still struggling from the aftermath of Thatcherism. Leeds on the other hand already has a thriving financial centre, as well as most of the other 'improvements' offered with this 'label'. We don't have any industry, as such, but we do have theatres, galleries, museums, more green areas than most other cities, universities, a thriving sports scene (if you discount United), and night life aplenty.

One problem we have, is that the population is outgrowing the city itself. Mass influx of people from across the UK, as well as abroad, has created problems in jobs, housing and society, that no 'cultural label' will fix.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It might well, but as I said, Leeds is different to Hull, I was there earlier this year, and could see an improvement. To be honest, it didn't need that much to achieve an improvement from what it was like when I was last there a few years ago.

Glasgow in 1990, Liverpool in 2008, were both still struggling from the aftermath of Thatcherism. Leeds on the other hand already has a thriving financial centre, as well as most of the other 'improvements' offered with this 'label'. We don't have any industry, as such, but we do have theatres, galleries, museums, more green areas than most other cities, universities, a thriving sports scene (if you discount United), and night life aplenty.

One problem we have, is that the population is outgrowing the city itself. Mass influx of people from across the UK, as well as abroad, has created problems in jobs, housing and society, that no 'cultural label' will fix.

John.

I think you have lost a lot of Leeds folk to Whitby John its full of them mind house prices here are crazy but still they come some special attraction here for some reason .

Untitled-1.jpg

I think you have lost a lot of Leeds folk to Whitby John its full of them mind house prices here are crazy but still they come some special attraction here for some reason .

Cheap scallops?
  • Like 4

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Wagons my arse sphugh they will not be included with the new diesel tax as I said , as for first reported by the bbc older diesel cars would face the new tax was wrongly reported but wagons Will not be included in the new tax unless in your utter stupidly you can enlighten otherwise .http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42079297

I don't argue with you over the report in the BBC you link to, or any other report using the correct term 'vans' or similar such as a 'car derived van' mentioned otherwise than by name in the article, I don't have to argue with you at all in actual fact, you are usually contradicting yourself anyway.

The term 'wagon' is not nor has it ever been a classification, excise or otherwise for any mechanically propelled vehicle in UK legislation.

A 'wagon' per common English usage is a large vehicle used for the haulage of goods pulled by a team of horses or oxen, otherwise it is a container pulled by a locomotive, although there is a basis in English history for the term 'on the wagon' and more recently 'paddy wagon'.

Indeed I watched the Budget live and the bullet points as written by the BBC, you have conveniently missed the word 'new' from your reasoning before launching into a diatribe regarding 'poor people' and blaming the Tories!

The Conservative Party, actually all Govts. Have enough to answer to for the things they actually do without making things up.

And now you seem to be arguing that self employed and small business should have the increase applied to them as well, is there no limit to how many people you would see put behind or under financial pressure so you can mouth off about it on your soapbox? And again in this post you are incorrect, there is no 'new tax' you've taken the 'new' bit that you missed before and put it in another post which, once again make your post wrong.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

John.

Listening to an economic report a few days ago Gozzer, chap stated that Leeds had a higher GDP than New Zealand! His words, not sure of the accuracy but food for thought, you must be doing something right.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

I don't know why, apart from Chesters mention of your tasty scallops, I can only think of the Goth scene that appeals.

I used to like the place, but other than a couple of enjoyable Halloween visits, I've found it too candy floss, and 'kiss me quick' (the women are as bad), for me. With loads of aggressive seagulls that crap on you, and amusement arcades.

It doesn't matter how many have gone over your way, we've still got loads left.

John.

Listening to an economic report a few days ago Gozzer, chap stated that Leeds had a higher GDP than New Zealand! His words, not sure of the accuracy but food for thought, you must be doing something right.

It might be per capita HV, but not gross.

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Business/Pages/Leeds-economy.aspx (£64.6 billion)

https://countryeconomy.com/gdp/new-Zealand (2016 figures 181,713M.$)

I assume the New Zealand one is in US dollars. I can't be bothered to work it out.

John.