I love it when a plan comes together.

Ken L

I've previously fished for Siamese carp on a couple of trips. I'm currently back in Thailand and on my first session landed 12 carp to 40lb, a Mekong catfish of 35lb, a Julien's carp and more than a dozen sawai catfish.

I outfished everybody else on the lake by 4:1.

It just goes to prove that a little thought about where to fish, the habits of your quarry and how to employ tackle to best advantage can see you dramatically outfish people who follow the heard or rely on chuck and chance.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Can't see the photo Steve. Not sure if its the link or if my PC just can't handle png compression.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've previously fished for Siamese carp on a couple of trips. I'm currently back in Thailand and on my first session landed 12 carp to 40lb, a Mekong catfish of 35lb, a Julien's carp and more than a dozen sawai catfish.

I outfished everybody else on the lake by 4:1.

It just goes to prove that a little thought about where to fish, the habits of your quarry and how to employ tackle to best advantage can see you dramatically outfish people who follow the heard or rely on chuck and chance.

Sounds like your having some fun over there Ken !

Just curios what kind of rods your using to catch those fish on...test curves and lengths ? Also line B/S etc, as I say i'm just curious as they must go a bit.

Sounds like your having some fun over there Ken !

Just curios what kind of rods your using to catch those fish on...test curves and lengths ? Also line B/S etc, as I say i'm just curious as they must go a bit.

Bit of a cockup on the rod front. I thought I'd packed my Shimano which, is 10 foot and has about a 3lb test curve but when I opened the tube, I only have my lure and fly rods.

I had the fish mentioned above as well as a bunch of redtail catfish and a small arapaima on a 7' St Croix tidemaster spinning rod. It's officially rated to cast 2oz but is actually way heavier than that and i've used it to cast 4oz leads with no problems. The reel is a 6000 Stradic loaded with 65 lb braid.

The only finesse is at the sharp end where I have a leader of 16lb 8 strand braid and a size 8 barbless hook.

The rig is basically a standard suspended method feeder but optimised to take advantage of the fish's feeding habits and minimise tangles.

I never had any doubts about the spinning rods ability to handle the fish (I've previously used it to land mahseer to 77lb and even to fish for GT's), but it would have been nice to have had the evtra length of the Shimano for accurate casting and fish control.

If you are thinking about giving it a go, fights to Bangkok were £529. My acomodation is £11 a night and a days fishing on the carp pond works out at about £35 including taxis there and back, fishing, bait, a meal and a bottle of beer at lunchtime.

It's not taxing fishing and the small pond is rather manicured but its an interesting distraction and more fun than a day on the beach.

There is one of the silly price fisheries just up the road if you want to chase monsters and I've just going out that there is another local budget fishery as well.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Bit of a cockup on the rod front. I thought I'd packed my Shimano which, is 10 foot and has about a 3lb test curve but when I opened the tube, I only have my lure and fly rods.

I had the fish mentioned above as well as a bunch of redtail catfish and a small arapaima on a 7' St Croix tidemaster spinning rod. It's officially rated to cast 2oz but is actually way heavier than that and i've used it to cast 4oz leads with no problems. The reel is a 6000 Stradic loaded with 65 lb braid.

The only finesse is at the sharp end where I have a leader of 16lb 8 strand braid and a size 8 barbless hook.

The rig is basically a standard suspended method feeder but optimised to take advantage of the fish's feeding habits and minimise tangles.

I never had any doubts about the spinning rods ability to handle the fish (I've previously used it to land mahseer to 77lb and even to fish for GT's), but it would have been nice to have had the evtra length of the Shimano for accurate casting and fish control.

If you are thinking about giving it a go, fights to Bangkok were £529. My acomodation is £11 a night and a days fishing on the carp pond works out at about £35 including taxis there and back, fishing, bait, a meal and a bottle of beer at lunchtime.

It's not taxing fishing and the small pond is rather manicured but its an interesting distraction and more fun than a day on the beach.

There is one of the silly price fisheries just up the road if you want to chase monsters and I've just going out that there is another local budget fishery as well.

Imteresting...I reckon it must be good fun winding in fish like that on such a small rod. Pity about the air fares being so expensive, but then the accomadation sounds nice and cheap. The whole package sounds great !