Beach fishing advice

fisher28

Hi gents,

I'm relatively new into the world of beach fishing after mainly concentrating on piking and am after a bit of tackle advice if at all possible.

I currently have a Ron Thompson beachcaster and a Shakespeare seawolf along with an Abu ambassador multiplier for the seawolf and a fixed spool for the rt.

I'm having problems with the reel seat on the sealwolf and the free run on the abu seems to be inconsistent and jam up at times. Just for occasional use this has all been fine but I'm hoping to do a bit more beach fishing, probably only once every 6weeks or so and would like a nice reliable set-up that will last me for years. Would anyone be able to recommend a suitable rod and reel for such purpose, I generally fish the east Anglian coast aldeburgh, dunwich, thorpeness etc obviously I don't wish to break myself in the process but appreciate the need with tackle to get quality so it will last. Any advice would be much appreciated, I have only been a few times before so am a bit of a rookie.

Thanks in advance

Edited by fisher28

You might want to look for someone to service the Abu ambassador and see if repairs are needed. One of our long time members, Budgie Burgess, works on those reels and he did a couple for me a few years ago. I can highly recommend him if he is still doing the service & repair work. You could send him a PM on here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Shakespeare Agility range offers great quality for the price.

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.co.uk/catalogue/rods,20778/sea,71323/agility-long-surf,8294.html

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.co.uk/catalogue/reels,20767/agility-surf,8666.html

Have a hunt round for cheapest prices most places do them at below RRP.

Many thanks, I will have a look and see what's about. Do you recommend going for a 15" or the 13" version?

Also I note they are designed for a fixed spool, does that mean that I can't use a multiplier on them?

Edited by fisher28

You might want to look for someone to service the Abu ambassador and see if repairs are needed. One of our long time members, Budgie Burgess, works on those reels and he did a couple for me a few years ago. I can highly recommend him if he is still doing the service & repair work. You could send him a PM on here.

Ok thanks for that I may shoot him a message and see what he recommends.

This reel has a line lay guide on it, I hear a lot of people avoid this for beach casting for greater distance, does this make much of a difference or it it marginal?

Many thanks, I will have a look and see what's about. Do you recommend going for a 15" or the 13" version?

Also I note they are designed for a fixed spool, does that mean that I can't use a multiplier on them?

I prefer a 15 foot rod they give good distance with just a basic overhead cast,the secret is to go slow and get the timing right.

You can use both multi's and f/s reels but again I much prefer fixed spools as they are better behaved than multi's (no birdsnests) and if you cant cast as far with a fixed spool as you can with a multiplier,then the problem is more likely with your technique.