My first fishing trip...at last!

Darren T

Some of you may remember me from just before xmas. i had asked my uncle if i could come along with him some time when he went out fishing and today was that day! we headed out to a lake that is part of the Dorking & District Angling Society and i needed to get a day ticket (£6), having already got my rod licence online (£3.50).

We arrived at the small lake for around 10:45 after a refreshing walk from the car. With only 20 pegs its a bit easier to pick a spot and we caught one of the bailiffs in the tackle shop who helpfully noted that 15 and 16 had been good in the last few days, 17 as well. so we walked around to the pegs and my uncle started to set up while i just enjoyed the scenery and the peace and quiet. birds twittering, the odd pheasant and a few deer running about. tranquility at its best.

He set me up with a 13ft match rod and a puddle chucker with (i think) an 18 hook. first cast in he pulled out a small silverfish (i cant remember the type) and then handed it over to me while he set up his ledger outfit on the next peg. With the entire lake deserted apart from us he was shooting for the centre on luncheon meat while i was happily casting maggot after maggot into the margins near my peg.

the two pegs we were on were located just out of the wind but nicly in the sun so we started to warm up pretty fast, that stayed with us until about 2:30 when the sun dipped behind the fauna and the temperature dropped rapidly.

All in all i caught maybe 15 fish, about 8 that could be classed as tiddlers which seemed intent on digesting the bait making hook removal a pain. a few larger roach and perch also graced my bank at maybe 5 inches long.

then, just before the sun dipped i hit the big one! after pulling small fish out all afternoon, and loving every second, when my float dipped again in the margins by some reeds i struck and expected the fish to come with. but no! in a few seconds i realised i had finally hooked something that might play a little more. with a visible depth of about 3 inches, even with my polarisers on, i had no idea what was on the other end. after what seemed a lifetime (probably 7 seconds in reality!) the head of the fish crept up into the top layer of the water and i knew at least that it was a carp. my first ever. i called over to my uncle who had noticed my plight who commented "ah, a bit of a bend in your rod at last!". as he arrived at my peg the fish was just ready to bring out and he handled the net to bring the wee beastie home.

totaly excited that i had caught something big i whipped out the camera and took pics while my uncle was unhooking the fish. maybe next time i'll be calm enough to pose for a pic myself! and so here she is, jaws eat your heart out.

DSC_2752.jpg

I used maggots and casters all day but soon realised that the casters were not getting any attention at all. i even tried steipping up form one maggot to two or three to stop some of the tiddlers but they wre still sucking them down! As soon as the sun dipped all the bites dried up. there were some encouraging nibbles and the float would dip only to find there was nothing on the end.

regardless it was a great day out and i really enjoyed myself. My uncle managed to land a common carp a little smaller than my new personal best fish ever. he also managed to fall over in the scramble to get to his beeping tackle! i turned around to see a 6ft frown man on his back waving his arms and legs in the air like an upturned tortoise!

Can't wait to go out again!

Well done mate! Cracking fish

I am sure it will be the first of many happy outings! Glad to see that you were happy with all the fish you caught and not just "jaws" It is something that a lot of people seem to forget and are only happy with the big ones! At the end of the day the sight of the float dipping or the tip swinging or even the alarm bleeping makes every anglers day!

Great post! It looks as though you're well and truly hooked now!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Nice one Darren! Cracking fish.

If you can be hooked at this time of year then just wait till the spring arrives; there is nothing like being at a water on an early spring or summers morning while the rest of the world is still in bed.

You have chosen one of the best hobbies there is.

BB

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

cheers chaps. i had a really good day and slept like a baby last night. all that fresh air really knocks you out!

what was pleasing for me was that i caught what i did on such cheap tackle, it made me realise that you really dont need to go spending a fortune on gear. Hopefully we can sort something out soon and go again and i honestly cant wait.

With my 23rd birthday on the way in april hopefully there will be some money floating around so i can get some kit for myself (i wont be going anywhere without my uncle for a while i dont think!).