HELP with MOBO?

FRIED my Mobo this morning! Took out the ram yesterday to check the speed etc, replaced and it WAS a little hard to get back in!! Reason was made apparent this AM on switching on!! HUGE piece of fluff trapped in pins 230 to 240 of the ram chip!!! LArge fag end type burn and result = one fried mobo!!!

Now the board is an Asus SV266A and I CAN get another even though it is from 2004! GOOD old ebay!! (Bah!! Wash your mouth out for swearing boy!!) BUT I am thinking, is there something else I can use?? Probably same chip etc. but different board?? CPU is a 2800+ I think?? but board is well documented on a google search so hope someone may be able to help with advice?? just want to swap out this for something else as I have graphics card and sound separate anyway. BUT have NO idea what the hell I am doing!!! Anyone happy to help please????

This is ONE of the ebay searches. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...rksid=p3907.m29

JUST made what COULD be an important discovery??? Board has FOUR slots for RAM!

Two 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets for 2.5V DDR SDRAM PC2100 / PC1600 [DDR266 / 200] Max: 2GB

- Two DIMM sockets for 3.3V SDRAM PC133 / PC100 Max: 2GB

Soooooooo could I use the OTHER two slots and simply replace the RAM??? as I am ASSUMING that as number ONE slot is compromised I cannot use slot two for ram? BUT would it be ok to use slots one and two for the different ram?

post-1123-1204625035_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Hi Chris- At least you aren't upset (****) so to speak! :) Afraid I can't help with the memory stuff. I'm a sort of network geek. So I'll stand back, watch, and pass the hammer if you need it.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

JUST made what COULD be an important discovery??? Board has FOUR slots for RAM!

Two 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets for 2.5V DDR SDRAM PC2100 / PC1600 [DDR266 / 200] Max: 2GB

- Two DIMM sockets for 3.3V SDRAM PC133 / PC100 Max: 2GB

Soooooooo could I use the OTHER two slots and simply replace the RAM??? as I am ASSUMING that as number ONE slot is compromised I cannot use slot two for ram? BUT would it be ok to use slots one and two for the different ram?

post-1123-1204625035_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by using slots one and two for the different ram, because isn't slot one dead? Other parts of the MOBO may be knackered, but can't you test it by using only one strip of your existing memory in slot 2 and see if it works.

No what it is I have two slots for ONE type of RAM and two slots for ANOTHER type of ram. The ram itself is stuffed and I KNOW from experience you HAVE to have the ram in the number one socket to work. Possibly summat to do with being able to carry two types of ram?? But OK now as I tracked down a MOBO for £15 delivered!! Collect from Ilkley next week!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Understood the bit about the two pairs of slots, but still didn't understand the original question. However it's all redundant now cos of your new MOBO. Good luck!