Healthy Rivers

Jeffwill

Otters smells of violets doesnt it?

Not a million miles off, it has that 'heavy' sweet smell similar to violet with an undertone of musk. Never fishy or pungent like a smelly old mink. Spraints often have a jelly coating as well particularly on major territorial marking points and usually a good 'un at the holt entrance too.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a million miles off, it has that 'heavy' sweet smell similar to violet with an undertone of musk. Never fishy or pungent like a smelly old mink. Spraints often have a jelly coating as well particularly on major territorial marking points and usually a good 'un at the holt entrance too.

This seems to be quite topical.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/news/News-Searc...e-otter-menace/

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/m...ers-2009-a.html

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Interesting stuff!

Interesting indeed.

Of the two, the second has a more balanced, and common sense approach to the situation. The first one is like a sensationalistic tabloid, with the "otter menace" approach.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Interesting indeed.

Of the two, the second has a more balanced, and common sense approach to the situation. The first one is like a sensationalistic tabloid, with the "otter menace" approach.

John.

At least the two posts following the first article were sensible! The first three paragraphs using phrases such as "new cormorants", "otter menace" etc were rather over the top but the rest of it was more balanced. Let's hope that readers will get past the first three paragraphs of sensationalism to the information!

At least the two posts following the first article were sensible! The first three paragraphs using phrases such as "new cormorants", "otter menace" etc were rather over the top but the rest of it was more balanced. Let's hope that readers will get past the first three paragraphs of sensationalism to the information!

Interesting reports in the Angling Mail / times this week. Fishery owners saying 60 years of breeding specimen fish have been wiped out in 4 years of otters moving in. they have been told by the E.A. to fence in the fisheries but fishery owners cant afford to do this.

A lot of anglers and I dare say contributors to this site, will "not" have witnessed the "worst" of it and can only draw conclusions from anecdotal information, others opinions.

Therefore if a fishery owner wants to slag off otters and get really up tight about them wiping out their stocks, they are well entitled to do so.

Its all right for some "paragon of virtue" to talk about balanced reporting, its not his livelyhood or lifetimes work thats being turned into faeces that have a posh name. How ridiculous is that?

Interesting reports in the Angling Mail / times this week. Fishery owners saying 60 years of breeding specimen fish have been wiped out in 4 years of otters moving in. they have been told by the E.A. to fence in the fisheries but fishery owners cant afford to do this.

A lot of anglers and I dare say contributors to this site, will "not" have witnessed the "worst" of it and can only draw conclusions from anecdotal information, others opinions.

Therefore if a fishery owner wants to slag off otters and get really up tight about them wiping out their stocks, they are well entitled to do so.

Its all right for some "paragon of virtue" to talk about balanced reporting, its not his livelyhood or lifetimes work thats being turned into faeces that have a posh name. How ridiculous is that?

I might have to eat my words and buy one of the weeklies. I'd like to see who it is that's been breeding specimen fish for a living since the 1940s.

Which one gives the best report?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John